Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Outlaw 90 clutch rollers and air filter question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlaw 90 clutch rollers and air filter question

Can someone help explain the weight sizes on the clutch variator. I'm looking to replace these on my son's machine but they offer 3.0 grams up to 8 grams. What is the performance difference in the weight sizes. Also, looking to replace the air filter setup with an Uni style air filter. He races in sand, mud, you name it. Do I need to re-jet the carb if I add this style of air filter?

Old 02-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you confusing wights on the larger machines with the rollers on the youth models?Or is there an aftermarket source for these now? These have used basically the same style and part number all the way up until the 2016 models.Item#3 As far as jetting,check how it runs with the pod filter on,whether it bogs or hesitates plus the color of the spark plug. Needs to be medium tan to light brown on the electrode.If whitish in color,then jetting up may be necessary.

Attached Thumbnails Outlaw 90 clutch rollers and air filter question-index.png  
Old 02-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

Yes #3 on the parts list. I went to order some (not from Polaris) and I have multiple weights to choose from. 3g up to 8g. I'm just curious to how the lighter rollers will re-act from heavier rollers.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

As for the filter, I will just play with the jetting to achieve the correct plug color. I have rebuilt a ton of chainsaws over the years so I'm pretty familiar with fuel mixture end.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by sefh3
Yes #3 on the parts list. I went to order some (not from Polaris) and I have multiple weights to choose from. 3g up to 8g. I'm just curious to how the lighter rollers will re-act from heavier rollers.
Lighter weight rollers,quicker clutch response.Heavier rollers,slower clutch response time,but usually more torque,pulling power. Why not go to the middle of the pack and see how it does.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

Currently he needs to apply alot of gas for higher rpm's for the clutch to engage to take off. My plan is to pull it apart and inspect the rollers. I'm not sure if they flat spotted or if everything is plug from belt dust.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Rollers could be worn,plus don't over look the rear clutch shoe assembly.Item#6.

Attached Thumbnails Outlaw 90 clutch rollers and air filter question-index.png  
Old 02-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...pull the clutch apart & service if at all in question. Most are neglected. Many are packed with grease that gets hard over time not allowing proper engagement at lower rpms...

Hopefully you don't find this:

Attached Thumbnails Outlaw 90 clutch rollers and air filter question-img_2006.jpg   Outlaw 90 clutch rollers and air filter question-img_2007.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

They didn't use grease that I know of. Those style of clutchs are much easier to install without flopping a roller.
I think you will find some bad rollers.
Unless you've done motor mods,IMO,You should get stock weight rollers.
If you want to experiment with lighter total roller weight, leave 1 roller out and see if it reacts more like you'd like it to.
Less weight= higher stall/less top end speed. More weight=less stall more top end.
If you put lighter rollers in, he may have to rev even higher than now to get the clutch to engage.