Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 startfailure

Old 02-09-2017, 02:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 startfailure

Hi guys.
Last summer i bought a very rough LT80 for my kids. I got it to run most of the summer more or less ok and had plans to do a full restoration during the winter. At the end of the summer it started to get very hard to start at first. But when i finaly got it running it started directly when pushing the startbutton. So the winter came and my kids wanted to run it on the snow. Offcourse the battery was dead so i tried to use a helpstarter connected to the battery. At first it turned over but didn´t ignite. After a few tries it just clicked when pushing the startbutton.
Since then i have bought a new startmotor, new batteri and sparkplug. But still, the relay just clicks when i push the startbutton.

Any ideas where to go next?

Old 02-09-2017, 03:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If you overload the starter, a cutout under the right hand rear wheel arch operates and you have to push the button back in to get the starter turning again. This wasn't fitted to early machines, but check there first if the solenoid clicks but the starter won't turn.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
If you overload the starter, a cutout under the right hand rear wheel arch operates and you have to push the button back in to get the starter turning again. This wasn't fitted to early machines, but check there first if the solenoid clicks but the starter won't turn.
Yeah i have that button. I have checked it and tried to push it but nothing happens. Its like that button is "stiff". Sorry for my english, i´m from Sweden.

*Edit*
Any idea from wich yearmodels this button was added? I have no idea which yearmodel i have.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to get the year off the VIN#...I think the reset switch came in around '96

It may be frozen (corroded) and may need to be replaced...

Old 02-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

It turned out to be that button under right rear fender. I bypassed it and then it turned over fine. Do you really need it? Should I get a new one?
About the vin, I found a combination on the cross member in front, but it is so corroded I couldn't see what it said.

Anyhow... since I pretty much teared it apart to change the starter I think I will do a complete check. New/refurbished carburetor, reed valve, etc etc. I bought a carburatorkit with gaskets and everything but still it won't run on full throttle. Luckily there is e few month of winter left here in Sweden before the atv season starts.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

The earlier years didn't have it so my gut says no...however LT80 will chime in eventually and he is the all-knowing god of these little quads.

can you better explain the full throttle situation?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

First of all when I start it for the first time I have to like yoke the throttle and the choke up and down. Eventually it starts when i have full throttle. By this time it's like if I have filled the exhaust with fuel which it spits out and the engine runs very unclean at the beginning. Then when I drive it and puts the pedal to the metal I chokes. I would say half throttle is OK, no more.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

You need to buy an inline fuel filter and shutoff 1/4" at autozone etc. Your fuel is leaking by the factory shutoff filling the carb then seeping by float needle filling your cylinder causing the flooding situation. You might try that and take the bolt out bottom of exhaust stand quad up and let the fuel run out the exhaust start let run then put fresh plug in and see if where that gets ya. Also welcome to the forum.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Have you given the carb a good cleaning? While in there verify the main jet size. You may also want to ensure the reeds are not cracked and you have good compression...

Old 02-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I have cleaned it. Also I bought a new thingie (don't now the English word for it) to close of the fuel and added a fuelfilter.

The reeds looks fine to me. If I try to blow some air through it, there a little bit of resistance at the beginning, then it seems to open up.

A new problem occurred to day. I was trying to fix some electrical issues and messed up the socket where the starter relay goes. I have searched the Internet for a new socket without success. Is there any chance you can just get the socket for the relay?

Search this Thread