Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

04 sportsman 90 cutting out at low speeds question.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportsman 90 cutting out at low speeds question.

Just bought this thing , and i have it idleing perfect, and accelerates great. The problen is when i try to go slow ( 2-3 mph) it seems to "cut out" for lack of a better term. It just looses all rpm's for a second or 2 and then its fine for a few seconds and then cuts out again... Is this normal?? Is it a clutch problem? I feels like if you were to turn turn the key off for a second and then back on.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

My son's 2005 is doing the same thing but only when you turn sharp left. It will backfire from time to time, almost like the ignition is being killed. Hopefully Old Polaris tech will chime in.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

It was the throttle saftey switch, if you adjust the throttle cable it helps. You have to lower the idle. I guess it can be unhooked but it it requires more than just cutting the wires and/or conecting them.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't disconnect the etc switch! This is the best safety device that Polaris has. If a tree branch,etc grabs the cable,once the throttle is released the engine will die instead of racing off and perhaps injuring a child.You just have to keep the cable adjusted periodically to keep the etc contact points from touching and killing the machine.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there a idle adjustment other than the cable? I cant quite get it adjusted perfect just using the cable. I can get rid of the cutting out problem, but then it doesnt idle good.

Last edited by Appleman; 04-03-2017 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Miss spell
Old 04-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes on the carb.. The screw in the middle of the carb is the idle adjuster. On full size models you needed to keep 1/8" slack at the thumb lever to keep the etc contacts from touching at an idle. The youth models may have been a little tighter if I remember correctly.

Attached Thumbnails 04 sportsman 90 cutting out at low speeds question.-atv_ai2.jpg