KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Cannondale Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannondale Engine

Hey I just acquired a Cannondale 440 engine in pieces. It looks to me as if everything thing is there. It came out of a neighbors bike when he went to try to drop a street bike engine into it. It looks as if his son took advantage of the opportunity to hone his mechanic skills and took it all apart. If anyone knows anyone or would like to try to piece this back together themselves for me it would be AWESOME! I want to end up buying a rolling chassis to drop it into. Or maybe a golf cart.

Let me know if you would be interested in the work. It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Range Rover

Oh crap, you just described the perfect nightmare, first you must ask yourself a couple questions, why did your neighbor want to change the motor and is it a good idea to delve into an already botched recronstruction. If you do intend to do this then at least contact ATK to see if you can get a manuel or at least point you in the right direction. One other wild leap of faith that would be a lot cheaper would be to see if they would take the motor as a core and sell you a new or remanufactured unit for a lower price.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah I figured it would be a hassle. That is actually a really good idea that I never even thought about.
I was told it was running when he took it out so I don't think anything is wrong(or too wrong) with it.
I think my best course would be to contact ATK and try to sell it/swap it with them.
Thanks for the input.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

Go to cannondaleriders.com
You can download the engine and parts manuals as well as contact a skilled engine builder in your area.
With the reliability updates, they are as reliable as any of the big 4 and very powerful.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:24 AM
Range Rover

Great tips, and if I'm not mistaken, the C dales are nowhere near as bad as the new 450s in the maintenance department.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: this guy

Great tips, and if I'm not mistaken, the C dales are nowhere near as bad as the new 450s in the maintenance department.</end quote></div>

true

Old 10-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Range Rover

Friend of mine bought a cannibal when they first hit the scene and had a couple of bugs with the computer at first, but that has been about it really(same guy had a honda elsinore since it was new and said he had never actually changed the oil, just added when it needed it so not much wrench time on his bikes). It's very fast and looks like a hoot.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:39 AM
Range Rover

Shoot I remember the dealers trying to blow their invantory out the door for like $2900 new back when C dale had just gone under. Wish I had got one then.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: this guy

Shoot I remember the dealers trying to blow their invantory out the door for like $2900 new back when C dale had just gone under. Wish I had got one then.</end quote></div>

Yeah no kidding! Same here.

Thanks for all the help guys. Haven't been able to hit the cannondalerider site up yet, but will be soon. Trust me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Anyhow, if anyone would like to buy the engine from me I may think about selling it....put together, or in pieces. Will be more of course once it's in pieces..

Old 10-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

Well, if you do keep it, I'm sure you could find a good 250R frame to drop it in or a 400ex frame, cheap and plentiful.

Quick Reply: Cannondale Engine