KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem

I had my bike looked over by Marcums and they found that the two inner clutch plates were damaged (the ears were bent in). Seems that this is a common problem and can be very damaging if not caught in time. They replaced the plates, but from what I understand the same thing will happen, so I'll be taking the clutch plates out about every 40 hours to check them.

Old 10-22-2002, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch problem

I will be checking mine.What symptoms did your quad have? There was a bulletin put out recently saying that the clutch plates are being replaced with thicker ones now we know why.

Old 10-22-2002, 10:29 PM
The Facility
Default Clutch problem

Did these damaged plates not cause problems for the clutch basket????

This is the first time I have heard of clutch problems with these engines.

The 2001 FX400s had similar problems, but those used aluminum drive plates instead of the steel plates that come in the 2002 and 2003 models.

Old 10-22-2002, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch problem

There was no problem at all. I had no idea. I just was having the valves adjusted and told them to look it over, and they checked it because they said they had seen it before with their quads.

Old 10-22-2002, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch problem

Yea, I would like to hear of your symptoms also before I take my Cannibal in to the dealers. I ran the Iron Man over this past weekend and while I did take the checkers and manage to conquer all of the nasty obstacles , I did have some problems with by quad. First it quit (not stalled) running about 5-6 times requiring several minutes each occurrence to re-fire. Once it quit on the big number 1# hill at about a 1/4 of the way up. I also noticed after the race my fuel pump would not quit running and so I "unplugged" it as to not drain the battery. I am not sure if this is what was causing the engine to quit but what ever the problem was/is it seemed electrical.

Second I noticed my quad getting very hard to shift from first into second gear. From there on up it seems OK. I now also can not get it into neutral unless I shut it off and then it clicks right in. It now also while holding in the clutch and in gear and hitting the starter it lurches forward...anybody have this or you your self experience this.

I am taking it down to the local dealer but some additinional info may help if I could pass along to them that some others are/have experienced any of these problems. I will be going down first thing in the morning so any response ASP would be appreciated.

By the way how about those Dale finishes at the Iron Man...were gett'nnn closer ...watch out rice burners...

Old 10-23-2002, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch problem

Tarrat

Doug knows about the fuel pump runnning thing. Mine had the that problem and Doug changed the ECU and that fix that. That will also solve the stalling problem you had. As for the shifting thing let me know what he says about that becuase mind does that too every now and then.

The lurching thing sounds like the clutch needs to be adjusted or you might have a bent clutch plate. Does it just do it in first gear? If so it a bent plate.

Old 11-05-2002, 12:35 AM
Range Rover
Default Clutch problem

We have two new 03 flags and had similar problems. IMPORTANT BULLETIN on Cartridge bolts/ new stud update. Had tranny failure because bolts backed out. One of our units never worked as good as the other due to this problem. Being fixed now, hopefully will take care of problems.

Old 11-05-2002, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch problem

Thanks, SandFan
I too have an 03 flag that has some tranny/clutch gremlins that we are currently trying to sort out. The Bulletin you brought up is being considered now.

I also had a large amount of oil that was belched out into my airbox, ECU tray and allover the front a-arms up to the front bumper. We have since installed the oil vent re-route kit and seems to be fine now as far as the oil in the airbox problem.

it seems that the 02 guys don't seem to be experiencing some of these problems but the 03's are.

Has any 02 or 03's experienced the oil belching problem, any clutch or tranny problems, engine shutting down while in cruise mode(like cruising down a road/field in 3-4th gear with a steady throttle) Checked all fuel lines, O-rings on fuel disconnects, and changed fuel filters many times.... and continued running of the fuel pressure pump along with the ECU burning up? I would like to know if it is just my unit or if I can establish consistency with these similar problems as to supply my local rep with some consistent info regarding these issues. I think they are maybe getting aggravated with my quad or me ( so am I ) and might be starting to wonder if it is something I am doing.

This seems to be effecting 03's from what little internet research I have done.

Ok on the up side...I have installed a complete HMF exhaust system with the Blaze map and this thing RRRRRIIIIIPPPPPPs when it runs/not broke or at the dealers trouble shooting.........I still love it though

Any impute would greatly appreciated.....

Old 11-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch problem

One more thing......
My stock ( toaster exhaust had a hole in it back where it mounts to the rear sub frame exhaust mount....hence the HMF system. Has any one else had this system (toaster) burn or break out like this???
thanks, Todd

Old 11-05-2002, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch problem

Sorry guys,
for so many posts....thinking too fast

Somthing to add to the equation....I have only owned this quad since this past labor Day weekend, making it about only 10 weeks old. Been running it back and forth now ( to the dealers) lucky they are only 10-15 minutes from me.... about once a week.......

Quick Reply: Clutch problem