Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Vanishing Freedom. Who owns America.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2000, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This evening, I have been watching a Fox News special called Vanishing Freedom, Who Owns America? It is shocking how much property the Federal Government owns and the limitations that they put on the use of this property. They use our taxdollars to buy, or more often steal it, then lock us out. The ATVer's are only one group that is having our right to use this land taken from us.
Fox usually repeats these specials. If you get the chance, check it out. Then, please register if you are not already and vote for those who will protect our freedom and against those who don't!

Old 07-22-2000, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the same show; surprised, but glad, the issue of the "Clinton Land Grab" is receiving SOME exposure (the "mainstream" media, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, won't touch it with a ten-foot pole).

This Forum has carried a number of posts discussing the issue of the Clinton administration's denial of public access to public lands; some posts containing hyperlinks for readers' comments.

I wonder; how many ATVers bothered to even click on?

Certainly, few are really aware of the erosion of their rights and privileges; I provided an update to a local ATV club, a presentation greeted with lots of "huh?" reactions (not all attributable to my presentation; rather, the lack of public news coverage).

The only possible relief from Clinton's Land Grab is a successful, enforceable legal challenge to his usurping the prerogative of Congress (not to mention the will of the American people as a whole and of the local population in particular); or, a change of administration. One wishes for both.

Tree Farmer

Old 07-24-2000, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

This forum has over 10,000 members. If we could get half of them to write their congressman that would be a miracle. In the west there is more land that Clinton has grabbed than back east. Most people are apathetic. Unless it is directly affecting them, then they don't care.

Old 07-24-2000, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

Snowshark, It is affecting them whether they realize it or not! It is very frustrating, getting people to do anything is nearly impossible. They would rather stand around and complain than to do something about it. We aren't asking them to do much more than pay a little attention and VOTE! I'm a life member of the Ted Nugent World Bowhunters. Bowhunters face some of the same challenges and even my best friends who hunt won't get involved to protect their sport. But as soon as the season gets shortened or some new law infringes on their fun, they are the first to complain. Its a matter of writing a few letters, supporting the local and national clubs and voting. Doesn't seem too complicated to me. Just look at the number of replies to this post. They would rather argue about who is faster than to have an intelligent discusion about the things that really matter.

Old 07-25-2000, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Even though I don't live in the U.S, it still upsets me to hear how some groups and politicians in your country are trying to shut down a sport that millions enjoy and like to do on a regular basis.

I sure hope Al Gore doesn't become president, because he wants nothing to do, but do away with our sport that we love so much.

Old 07-25-2000, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Galt,

Our club has around 50 adult members & perhaps 20 kids riders, less than 50% have memberships to the Blue Ribbon Coalition. They have the same attitude as your bowhunter friends.

As long as the "closures" don't affect their little universe, then they don't care. I asked people where are you going to ride when they close this or that place down. The response was "OH well find another place to ride!"

My biggest fear is by the time the "masses" get off of their "a$$es" it will be to late to reverse this trend.

To save our sport, snow mobililing, & other outdoor recreations, its going to take the manufacturers dumping some of their profits back into advertising to change public opinion. Also they need to buy some politicians. Just like the big oil & other companies do.

Old 07-26-2000, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Please check out the letter generator to the Forest Service that a member of the Idaho ATV assn. has come up with. Feel free to use it anytime.
http://www.outdooridaho.com/idatv/r2r/rl_gen.htm
Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. We need to start squeaking very loudly.

Old 07-27-2000, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

ok, who's the one that said involvement is the key? take a look at the article below (a little long). look what can happen when a TEAM of people, in this case the snowmobiling industry, get it together. we all need to take a lesson from this.

if you are loud enough for long enough, THINGS HAPPEN...

TO: All Snowmobile Associations/Federations/Media

SUBJECT: Here is another Press Release that is being put out over
the AP
wire today. Please distribute as far as you can. Thank you

Ed

For Immediate Release Contact: Mark Day
602-585-2104
Jake Reint
612-346-6190
(pager)
612-680-8569

PARK SERVICE BACKS OFF SNOWMOBILE BAN AS INTERIOR SECRETARY SUPPORTS
FULL
RULEMAKING
Bipartisan Congressional Opposition Grows

Washington, DC, July 26, 2000 - Mounting public opposition, an outcry
from
small business owners and growing pressure from congressional Democrats
has
forced the National Park Service to re-think the announced ban on
snowmobiles
from most national parks. Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle (D-SD)
and
Sen. Baucus (D-MT) recently declared their opposition to an outright
ban on
snowmobiles, forcing Secretary of the Interior to commit to a full
rulemaking
process before any action is taken.

"By carefully managing the parks, I believe that we can provide this
access
(to snowmobiles) in a manner that is sensitive to the needs of the
environment and to those who go to public lands in search of solitude
and
quiet," Daschle said in addressing the issue on the Senate floor. "I
believe
that it is critical for the agency to review a variety of options for
managing snowmobiles and to ensure a full opportunity for public
comment."

"I don't think we need an outright ban, " said Sen. Baucus, "I believe
we can
protect the park and its wildlife in other ways."

The National Parks Service, seeing support for its unilateral, outright
ban
evaporate, has backed off its original position. In a letter to
Senator
Daschle, Interior Secretary Bruce Babbit said, "the National Park
Service has
not made any final decisions on what changes to make in the snowmobile
use
that is allowed in national parks, and any decisions we make will be
made
following public comment and compliance with other requirements for
agency
rulemaking…Until a new rulemaking is completed, the existing rule on
snowmobile use in the national parks remains in effect."

"It's encouraging to see that the Parks Service is now willing to hear
public
comments and follow rulemaking procedures instead of arbitrarily
banning all
snowmobiles from the parks," said Ed Klim, president of International
Snowmobile Manufacturers Association. "Snowmobilers want to work with
Congress to develop a reasonable public access policy so that everyone
can
respectfully enjoy our beautiful national parks, especially in
wintertime,"
Klim added.

On April 27, the National Parks Service and outgoing Assistant
Secretary of
the Interior Donald Barry announced their intention to ban the use of
snowmobiles in 27 national parks. The NPS took this extreme action
despite
recent scientific evidence that shows new snowmobiles have
significantly
reduced sound and emissions.

- more -
Park Service Backs off Ban/Page 2

Other Democratic Members of Congress opposing the Park Service proposal
include Representatives Colin Peterson (D-MN), James Oberstar (D-MN)
and Bart
Stupak (D-MI). Copies of their full statements are available upon
request.

The International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association (ISMA) is an
organization representing the four snowmobile manufacturers. ISMA
maintains
strong partnerships with the American Council of Snowmobile
Associations and
the Canadian Council of Snowmobile Associations, representing four
million
snowmobilers. ISMA coordinates committees within the industry to
handle
concerns such as snowmobile safety and the positive economic impact the
sport
has throughout the world.

Old 07-29-2000, 04:14 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

I didnt get to see it, our VCR is dirty but my Parients said that it was very much on our side for once. Only FOX has the guts to be agenst the liberals

Old 07-30-2000, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

This land grab game to me is way for politicians to lock people in and and slowly takes there rights away for some dictatorship movement sometime in the future.there just using the enviromentalists as pawns to gain control.Cnn won't touch it,tree farmer due too Turners a big enviromentalist and new world order 1 world goverment kind of guy.I mean look at japan and the kyeto treaty,our president maybe has increased our economy but look he's screwed this country over big time and set america back on her ears for a long long time.Its not only quad riders either who are losing its every 1 from quads to hikers,last year I went riding my mountain bike at new palz NY I had to pay like 20 for parking and riding,same with using our beaches.God this is america something is seriously wrong and diabolical when ya got to pay to ride your bicycle somewhere,this country is getting like China,just thought I add my 2 cents and concern.

Quick Reply: Vanishing Freedom. Who owns America.