Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to keep digging around, seeing what I can find out. I'm not giving in on the idea yet.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Wow guys... How soon they forget.... A couple issues would really impact the use of ATV's on the road. First though, I want to take you on a trip to maybe 45 to 50 years ago, when ATV's were first introduced. Three wheeled obviously, but even when they switched to 4 wheels, the underlying problem still existed. 1) These vehicles, whether 3 or 4 wheeled were designed to dirve, handle accelerate etc on loose or DIRT surfaces. Put them on asphalt at speed and make a quick maneuver and you will flip it. Which creates injuries, and cries to eliminate them forever. Not to mention the idiots who would be doing wheelies, and being a general nuisance on the road with them. (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) They are just plain dangerous on the road at speed, and nobody could control themselves to the point where they ride responsibly. Then the insurance industry would get involved, and well, they would make it too costly to insure one. Think it couldn't happen. Well it did. 3 wheelers were outlawed by LAW. And the quad was born. Idiots still flocked to them and still did stupid stunts, and consumed copious amounts of alcohol and mind effecting illicit drugs. So no, I don't think ATV's have any place on regular roads. The only time it should be allowed is when they are in very controlled areas, at slow speeds, while travelling to and from a designated riding area or trail system. PERIOD Go ahead and throw stones at me, call me names... hey I am old, and don't give a crap what you say. That is MY opinion, and one that has over 45 years of experience under my belt. Something that many on these lists are lacking.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:43 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Two reasons , 5psi balloon off road tire such on pavement and high speed. 2) ATVs get on average 20 mpg, my Suv beats that and it has heat, AC and Sat radio.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think my ATV gets better mileage than my truck. I would like to be able to ride it on side streets but wouldn't ride the main roads much even if I could. It would be nice to have a choice though.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

Yes Frank, but we are adults. I could not imagine what kids or tweens would be doing. Too many injuries. Besides, I still do it when I need or want to anyway. At my age, they don't say too much... of course I don't do wheelies or speed... Much anymore. And they usually get a laugh out of it. I drive a very modified Mustang GT, and both the kids and the cops laugh their *** off when they see a fat 60+ year old guy with a beard driving a hot rod. The cops just ignore me now.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cop in the town where I live is well, not so cool about it, to put it nicely. He pulled me over once last year as I was putting through town and gave me some bs excuse about complaints about people riding through town on atvs. I get that maybe some kids act stupid but it wasn't me. He didn't ticket me but I just haven't given him a chance anymore. Its a small town and he is basically the whole police department. I can't stand the guy and just wish he'd quit and go somewhere else. He's an arrogant sob who just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not the only one who feels the same way about the guy. He's the kind of guy who would give you a ticket for going 40 in the 35 mph zone in town. He thinks he's robocop but to me he just looks like Barney Fife.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to small town America. You could always mention it to the mayor and et him know your vote is at state. Maybe get a petition going. Voters always seem to have a lot of pull. The more voters, the more pull.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The town does allow limited access with side by sides so that's what everyone is buying now. And that's if you get turn signals, mirrors, etc to make them street legal. And for some unknown reason golf carts can get access, go figure. That's what I want, some bozo putting along at 10 mph in front of me on his golf cart that I have to swerve around. If your vehicle can't maintain posted speed limits(30 mph in the case of my town on secondary streets) it shouldn't be allowed street legal status. Lawn mowers are the exception but they can be driven on the side of the road and out of the way of traffic if need be but really shouldn't be on the road either except when absolutely necessary and only for very short distances. Many other towns in the area are more relaxed on allowing atvs on secondary roads but here Barney Fife is gonna get ya.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Be happy they are working with everybody. I take it you don't golf? Actually down in Florida, there are literally whole towns that ban automobiles and REQUIRE the use of golf carts. Now let me tell you, there are some real interesting
custom golf carts out there....

Old 08-30-2016, 01:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I used to play golf a lot. But I kept the cart where it belonged, on the golf course. When playing alone, I walked a lot. You can get a pretty decent workout just walking 9 holes. I had my own push cart so I didn't carry the clubs but it was still a good walk. I have seen some golf carts with atv engines in them. There was one a few years ago locally that had a Kfx 700 vtwin engine in it, now that thing would flat out scream. I think he said it would run 70 mph. That would be flat out scary in a golf cart but would be a hoot. I'm sure it had modified suspension, brakes and tires rated to handle that kind of speed but still in the end its a golf cart.

Quick Reply: why not street legal?