Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Ragazines and utter disregaurd for ATV's

Old 01-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I've talked to the guys from Canada. They pretty much don't have any rules on public lands as far as where they go and what they go through. I know if we did what they are doing here in New England you'd get ticketed for sure if you go off trail.

Been through some nasty mudholes that were formed over time on the trails. Those are perfectly legal to go through. Been stuck a few times too.
While that for the most part is true. Their are still the general rules that allot of riders feel they do not have to follow. Like riding through protected areas, wetlands, etc. Iv had riders flat out tell me they will ride where ever the @#$% they feel like. Then they go play in the sensitive wetlands with signs posted that their is no riding. They totally destroy the area and get the real trail closed down on us. Due to riding like this areas are getting closed down and we have lost some great riding areas..

Old 01-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrock
While that for the most part is true. Their are still the general rules that allot of riders feel they do not have to follow. Like riding through protected areas, wetlands, etc. Iv had riders flat out tell me they will ride where ever the @#$% they feel like. Then they go play in the sensitive wetlands with signs posted that their is no riding. They totally destroy the area and get the real trail closed down on us. Due to riding like this areas are getting closed down and we have lost some great riding areas..
It is different in Canada than the US. Riders with the attitudes you talked about are the ones who get trail systems closed and then whine about there being nowhere to ride. I've seen it time and time again. A club works their collective tails off opening up new trails and a bunch of bozos get it closed riding off trail, through people pastures, disrespecting the landowners who opened up part of their land to the clubs, etc. They usually aren't part of any clubs to begin with, so they only contribute the registration dollars to the state they ride in. The riding world is better off without these scumbags.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Here's a picture of me (on the right) with Warden Spahr of the Maine Warden's Service and the camera crew from North Woods Law.

We had to build a new trail to go around a military base that the National Guard needed to use again. We used to be able to go right through when it wasn't being used. We hacked a 12'x 1/2 mile long trail through the dense Maine underbrush. The military paid to have the old dirt runway graded and the road we used as a trail graded too. Paid something like $85,000 to have it done. We were allowed to park on the base with all our gear even though there are signs at the gate forbidding trespassing. Just before we broke for lunch, Warden Spahr was sitting on his quad with a cameraman sitting on the rear rack. Guy in a pickup went ripping right by them, and started doing donuts on the airstrip. Warden Spahr said, "At that point I HAD to give him a ticket". $500 trespassing plus whatever the US government wants in penalties.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
It is different in Canada than the US. Riders with the attitudes you talked about are the ones who get trail systems closed and then whine about there being nowhere to ride. I've seen it time and time again. A club works their collective tails off opening up new trails and a bunch of bozos get it closed riding off trail, through people pastures, disrespecting the landowners who opened up part of their land to the clubs, etc. They usually aren't part of any clubs to begin with, so they only contribute the registration dollars to the state they ride in. The riding world is better off without these scumbags.
ya i watch allot of the US groups. Their is not a week that goes by when you see posts from them begging people to please respect the land owners. Or notifying people that the landowner is shutting down the trail due to idiots etc. Its a shame as their are a lot of good hardworking people that put their time, effort, money into maintaining and creating trails. Then some idiot ruins it and hall that effort has been lost as well as a great riding area. Now that BC has made it mandatory that machines are to be registered and plated we can catch some of these idiots. I know of a few that have received huge fines and lost their machines..

Old 01-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Zrock
ya i watch allot of the US groups. Their is not a week that goes by when you see posts from them begging people to please respect the land owners. Or notifying people that the landowner is shutting down the trail due to idiots etc. Its a shame as their are a lot of good hardworking people that put their time, effort, money into maintaining and creating trails. Then some idiot ruins it and hall that effort has been lost as well as a great riding area. Now that BC has made it mandatory that machines are to be registered and plated we can catch some of these idiots. I know of a few that have received huge fines and lost their machines..
That's good. Weed out the guys who ruin it for everyone.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Places to ride our ATVs on public lands are highly desirable "wins" gained by a lot of hard working ATV enthusiasts. We must value these trails highly. I will report any irresponsible riding with a description of the machine and riders. Many of us have good camera on our phones for documentation.

Irresponsible riders in Minnesota a few years ago garnered a lot of bad press for our hobby. There were many pictures of damaged wetlands on television.

I'm an advocate for "street legal" operation of ATVs on secondary roads with posted speed limits of 45 mph or less. ATVs are not smart in congested cities. But those of us who live in rural areas would greatly benefit from a Sunday ride down our dirt roads. Many states have legalized on road ATV use with restrictions, licenses, insurance, and street legal equipment similar to motorcycles. A bit of a hassle, but optional and not a requirement if you don't want to ride on the roads. I think street legal ATVs would relieve considerable pressure for more trails. We enjoy riding responsibly, we enjoy the funky handling and snappy acceleration an ATV offers. It is very similar to a street legal "dirt bike" in my view. And of course we enjoy seeing, but not destroying, our wonders of nature on a beautiful trail.

So why not? Bicycles zoom down the hill in front of my place all summer long legally. My son has a street legal 90cc motor scooter that won't go 45 mph. Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and partially Kansas have street legal laws. Colorado is taking baby steps, maybe some day. ATV riding is dangerous you know, and our powers to be don't want anyone hurt. But we did legalize pot.

Being able to enjoy my new ATV around my neighborhood would be great. I would comply with all state and local traffic laws. I just learned about a great 10 mile long gravel road that has wonderful views of Pike's Peak. This would be a 40 mile round trip for me. I accept the risk that some irresponsible teenager texting rear ends me. My will is up to date.

Folks deciding to ride responsibly by doing "stunts" would suffer the consequences our traffic laws would bring to bear. But there would be less damage to public lands.

David