Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Where is the Corporate Money to Represent Us?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the Corporate Money to Represent Us?

Hi Gang. I'm a new member but a long-time ATV enthusiast and outdoorsman from Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I grew up in a forested area where until recently an entire family could enjoy the freedom of starting up the ATV's and taking off right from the back yard and enjoying a 100 + mile day of sight-seeing, grouse hunting, etc. on beautiful two track logging roads. The last few decades have seen the encroachment of groups like The Nature Conservancy, The Keweenaw Land Trust, etc. that have taken it upon themselves to "protect" this wilderness for us to ensure access. As the result, you can feel free to enjoy a day of touring the wilderness in your Subaru or pay an outfitter to take you on a mountain bike tour (of course, they don't leave ruts). ATV's are not welcome. ATV access in the U.P. is diminishing at an alarming rate and not much is being said. Much of the decision-making is occurring behind closed doors. There are a few ATV access advocates fighting the fight but they are outnumbered and outvoted.

My question is where are the corporate money-makers when you need them? Why aren't Polaris, Arctic Cat, Yamaha, Honda etc. lobbying in each of the state government chambers to combat these other special interest groups with seemingly bottomless pockets? Surely it will ultimately have an effect on their bottom line. Furthermore, it seems they have a responsibility in a way. They sell the products to us, they ought to advocate for fair use of their products.

Private ATV clubs can not compete with large, well funded conservation groups. And when we do go head to head with them we come across looking like we are anti-environment. Clearly we are not. Most of the people I ride with are for fair access. Does anybody know what the manufacturers are doing in this regard?

Walt

Old 09-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Honda makes too much money selling high mileage Civics, Hybrid Civics, Hybrid Accords, etc. to help us. If they were to come out and donate money to Blue Ribbon Coalition, CORVA, ATVA, etc. it would kill them on the cars. I spoke with someone associated with Friends of Oceano Dunes (it's a group trying like mad to keep the area most people know as "Pismo Dunes" open.) He said that Honda basically told them that. They've tried, w/o success.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Hi, Walt and welcome.
I'm from down here in Kalamazoo and just joined your local club out of the Cliff Bar (not sure who you folks all are or what you have been doing; just left my dues at the counter with a nice lady who was tending that day to lend some support).
I thank God that I was able to ride your area just before the Conservancy took over (thanks to a good friend from Allegan) and know exactly what you have lost up there. While I agree with your thoughts on corporate involvement; don't you think that any grass-root effort starts at these local dealerships in conjunction with a well-organized club who isn't "afraid" to get involved politically? (I mean, aren't these the guys with the connections to corporate....the same one with blank looks on their faces <u>every single</u> <u>time</u> you describe what you desire above?).

I hate to say it....but the Michigan atv groups "I've" <u>met</u> to date (with the exception of Mi-Trale just south of you) don't have a single stand-up-kind-of-guy/gal among 'em that I would be proud to partner with in the kind of battles one would expect to achieve the results both you and I desire.

For example: The DNR's 25 year update plan PUBLIC comment period is about to expire. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...4024--,00.html
Question: Why does the public sit back and say nothing when I travel to these meetings in Lansing and am denied the right to ask questions regarding what our leaders think of this?
Why can you not ask these <u>same people</u> about COMPETING legislation that they are attempting to stuff down both the DNR <u>and</u> the riding public's throats at this very minute?
If I go to these meetings and am treated like garbage with more support from even the DNR than our own ridership...why would ANYBODY want to embarras themselves further in front of corporate America???.

My feeling is that if corporate America sees absolutely no activity in these dealerships ***supporting this country's largest trail system*** beyond money-grubbers in these club "non-profits" scrambling to find a space on the funding trough....who in the heck are they going to talk to here in Michigan who isn't either sitting back doing absolutely nothing or doing their damnest to make sure nobody knows what they're up to in any way, shape or form?

My problem has always been that if you have to stop what we're doing and strap a set on....don't expect me to <u>wait</u> for you to miraculously turn into some kind of "Fred Garvin" (an obscure Saturday Night Live skit/joke...sorry).

Old 09-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

I've been tracking this issue for many years. Environmentalists say they want to preserve woodlands in their pristine state. But, in reality, they are just one group of users trying to exclude others. If they were sincere in wanting to preserve natural areas, they would agree to stay out too. Instead, they seem to think natural areas should be their own private playgrounds. Excluding people from enjoying public lands will naturally require picking and choosing to decide whose rights should be taken away. After all these years of trying to stamp out discimination in this country, here it comes around again in a new form.

Old 09-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Why do Tobacco companys make anti-cig commercials........................
Why do Gas companys make enivormental commericals..........................

its all relative

Old 09-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for you comments. and blackballed, for your perspective. i'm reading michigan dnr's orv plan - quite a read - i think it might take a while. i'm planning a trip back up to the keweenaw to do some grouse hunting in a couple of weeks. i know a few guys who own dealerships up there - i'd like to get their take on things. i'll let you know what they have to say about the absence or their companies voices on the access issue. also planning on taking a break at the cliff bar if the hunting is no good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

regards,

Walt

Old 09-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

I talked with the guys in Calumet this year; there was evidently some kind of ownership shake-up there and they were still getting their feet wet. Spoke with another in Houghton a few years back; yet their frank and (then) true answer at that time was "what's the problem...you can ride anywhere up here...".

IMO...and this is not disparaging <u>anyone</u> here...it is that attitude which has been/will tomorrow close these areas down for good.
The ironic part here being that these dealerships have more to lose 'financially' than any of us....while the cost of our failed responsibility in handing down a true riding <u>legacy</u> to our children....is immeasurable. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] (and frankly downright embarrasing to me as a Michigan resident charged with protecting the largest formal/informal trail system this nation has ever witnessed).

Old 09-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Agreed. There is the commonly held attitude up there that "we can go anywhere so what's the problem." Probably why not much attention is paid to the legal work being done behind closed doors. I recently noticed on the Keweenaw Peninsula Chamber of Commerce website that they promote snowmobiling, hiking, biking, etc. but no mention of ATV's. I inquired. I received a reply the following day that "as of now there are only two DNR Designated Multiuse trails in the Keweenaw that cover 54 miles" so there is not much point in promoting it. The message being "ATV's stay away." The truth being, of course, there are still miles and miles of forestry roads and CFR land that is accessible to ATV's but, again, access is being lost on a weekly basis with every meeting of do-gooders seeking to protect the land.

Perhaps the dealerships can afford to get by on snowmobile sales and service alone once the ATV sales dry up. Or maybe they, like many of our fellow Michiganders, can't believe it can happen. After all - we have all of these woods.

Walt

Old 09-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

Great comment, Walt; nothing but the truth told there.
The only trail we've got in that area runs from Hancock, up the grade, to Calumet and back; with the Bill Nichol's Trail being just another grade going south out of Hancock and doubling back the same way.

If anybody wants to tell me that this is a shining example of not only what the western U.P. has to offer....but hard work on the part of enthusiasts such as you and me....we're a pretty damn sorry lot at best. This is not to take anything away from the fine people involved in organized atving up there; as I consider their work in or outside these maintnenance grants to be one heck of a lot more honest and forthright than anything I've witnessed here downstate to date. It's just that the attitude you mentioned previously prevails and (frankly) I believe many of them are sick of witnessing these "trolls" come on up-state and, without regard, rip the heck out of everything....then leave.

Here are some good people I met with also this spring: http://www.ontonagonmi.com/multiusetrails/

Old 09-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Walt,

I have been to the U.P twice this year.In June,we did the Bill Nichols trail from Twin Lakes..It was some of the most exciting riding I've done in Michigan..We had no problems with where we rode..

We did Hulbert Michigan in August..This was a nightmare..So bad that we cut our ride a day short because of all the ''NO ATV'' signs the forest service put up all over the place.Now this is the same place I've been riding year after year since the late 90s with no issues..I talked to the President of SORVA [Sportsmans Off Road Vehicle Club]up there and she said they need alot of help up there now because the DNR and Forest service are just going crazy with shutting area's down to us..

There are a few contact folks down here that are politically involved in our sport,I STRONGLY urge you to e-mail them with your concerns..If we stay by the wayside and do nothing,we will loose everything.Your contacts are below,

cccbill@dmci.net [Cycle Conservation Director]
dranney1@charter.net [ORV Advisory Chairperson]

Best of luck,

Bill

Quick Reply: Where is the Corporate Money to Represent Us?