Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Idahoans - Idaho will approve ATV on all unpaved roads with your support.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:56 PM
LW
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idahoans - Idaho will approve ATV on all unpaved roads with your support.

Yes. Currently there is an amendment to Idaho State Laws to allow ATVs and dirt bikes to use all public maintained improved dirt roads in Idaho. Any public dirt road improved or not. The proposed legislation will require all drivers of ATVs or dirt bikes on dirt roads to have: 1. Drivers license 2. Liability Insurance 3. Off-Road Registration sticker 4. Lights during low visibility and night 5. Helmet if under 18 years old. No more quessing if you are legal. This amendment has support of the Idaho Sheriffs and Idaho Department of Parks & Recreation (IDPR). IDPR will have public hearings: 11/13/06 in Boise, ID; 11/15/06 in Idaho Falls; and 11/17/06 in Coeur'D Alene. Please voice your support to your local state legislators.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default Idahoans - Idaho will approve ATV on all unpaved roads with your support.

Not a resident of Idaho, but seriously considering moving there in the near future. Is this becoming an issue in your state? From my trips up there (Rexburg) I always viewed Idaho as fairly tolerant of ATVs. Will the proposed action also include side-by-sides?

Old 10-11-2006, 11:43 AM
LW
Trailblazer

I don't understand the term side-by-sides. Riding two ATVs side-by-sides on a roadway?

Old 10-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer

I was referring to something like a Polaris Ranger or Yahama Rhino

Old 10-12-2006, 02:09 AM
LW
Trailblazer

I read thru the proposed legislation it groups it like this: motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, utility type vehicles,....

On 10/12, IDPR got back to me and said, as they understand the proposal, it would include UTV's.

__________________________________________________ __________________

For Idaho riders: Just so you understand the current situation. Idaho does allow you to operate an ATV or dirt bike on a graded dirt road as long as you have a current drivers license, driving lights, brake lights, mirrors, horn, license plate, title, insurance. What's happen in past is, some officers have been bending the laws to allows ATV riders without the above equipment on graded dirt roads. Some officers have been writing tickets. ATV riders never knew if they officer was going to write a ticket, especially, if they were riding in an area that they didn't know the officers.

This legislature does not effective trail use on BLM, Forest Service, or State Lands.

However it allows to legally drive in small communities on graded dirt roads, such as Elk City, Idaho City, Centerville, Placerville, Silver City, Shoup, Murphy Hot Springs, Pine, Winchester, Avery, Murray, and so forth. Allowing you to access from trails to gas stations, small stores, motels, camp areas, etc.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer

As an Idahoan with a currently street legal ATV, I'm not a fan of the new legislation. I went to the effort and expense to make my ATV street legal (registration, insurance, lights, horn, mirror), and right now I can drive on ALL roads, as if I were a car or truck....not to mention I can do the same in Utah and Wyoming with my ID plates. This legislation will mean I spent all that money for nothing and now I wouldn't be able to drive on paved roads, like I can now. No more riding my ATV to work, no more riding to trail heads, no more riding it to the gas station, no more quick trips to the store. A lot of ranchers in our community would be negatively affected by this as well. They drive their ATVs to where their cattle are grazing or to move irrigation pipe, and there's not always a route consisting of only unpaved roads.

BTW, where can I find a copy of the current legislation about the DOT tires required for ATV's? I've never seen anything about it in the regs, and it's never been an issue where I ride or when I got my plates.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

In a similiar manner, we were tricked here in rural Nevada by the BLM. It sounded on the surface as they were really interested in helping us by designating trails and routes exclusively for ATV's. However, under the same umbrella they withdrew many of our good riding locations to become Wilderness areas which are not permitted motorized travel. Yes, I can see there point, as some riders tear up the countryside with carelessness. I fully expect the BLM to take further steps, eventually restricting OHV's to ONLY the approved routes.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:20 AM
LW
Trailblazer

All farming and ranching motorized vehicle using the orange triangle on the rear of the ATVs, tractors, and trucks will still exempt in Idaho.

DOT tires and other Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) are not required for ATVs presently, but would be required to drive paved roads, streets, and highways under the new legislation. See comments by 99ajax on 11/06/06.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

I'm still confused about why they are bothering with this legislation. The current Idaho Parks and Recreation requirements for on-highway use by dirtbikes and ATVs already specifically states that when met, you can "operate....on roads, which are part of the state, county or city highway system, and paved roads on management agency lands. In general, these are roads that are paved or have a well maintained gravel surface." They specifically mention PAVED roads and nowhere in the Parks and Recreation regs or in the Idaho Statutes does it mention DOT tires being required. If they want to get technical about meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, what are they going to do about windshields, wipers, passenger restraint, etc. that are also all mentioned in the federal regulations? I have just emailed an inquiry to the Idaho State Highway Patrol to find out their policy concerning ATVs operating on roadways. I am also going to call the ISP Region 6 office and talk to our local Sheriff's Department on Monday. I'll let you know what they all have to say.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:43 AM
LW
Trailblazer

I was incorrect previously on present enforcement. See comments by 99ajax on 11/06/06.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idahoans - Idaho will approve ATV on all unpaved roads with your support.