Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Off-Road Registration Stickers?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-Road Registration Stickers?

Here in New Brunswick, $41 per year to licence and it costs me app.$250 for insurance(mandatory).Fines are very heavy.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tennessee has a TDS sticker that must be on the bike to ride on any public lands. Sticker is cheap - $8 and it's good for the life of the quad, even transfers from owner to owner. There are a few more popular state riding areas that have extra fees required.

Jaybee

Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Yeah, a lot of guys who live in VA go up and register in PA just so they can go to other states that require a registration. I tied to go to my birth state of Wisconsin a few years ago, where I own 9 acres of land still, and was told that even though I was a registered citizen of Virginia, I had to not only pay the sticker, but I also had to pay the difference in sales tax to be "Legal" to ride on public lands. And WI has some steep sales taxes. I said no thanks... At least not until I move there permanently when I retire... But with an attitude like that, I might just re-think my retirement location choice... family roots and all. Why when ther eare so many otherplaces to live and ride....
I hear guys from Illinois and MN all the time complaining about it. I don't mind paying an out of state sticker fee if it is reasonable, much like an out of state fishing license, but the sales tax deal was a bit much.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DB, that's why all those other guys run to PA to get a sticker. I frequently ride in Wisconsin, since I have my $8 lifetime sticker from Tennessee, all I need to buy to ride in Wisconsin is the $18 sticker that the DNR requires. Since I usually ride in Wisconsin in May or June, I can get away with only buying a sticker every other year - the stickers are good from the opening of the trails in May through the following June, so it's actually a 13 month sticker. $9 a year ain't bad.

As far as enforcement goes, the rangers at Royal Blue have been on the ball this year. We've been stopped three times so far in '08. I've only been stopped two or three times in the last ten years total.

Jaybee

Jaybee

Old 04-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Range Rover

In Texas, they stickers are required to ride on public property, but "recommended" on private property. Since I have been getting back into the riding scene, what I have been able to gather is that the police in various areas chose, or chose not to strictly enforce it.

Near the Trinity River (between Beaumont and Houston, on I-10) used to be a very popular riding place. That has now been heavily patrolled by police. Then again, I have had officers pass me heading to my fav riding spot, while riding on the grass on the side of the road, and they never blinked an eye. It also probably has a lot to do with how much the soccer moms of a specific area complain.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Hey I believe in them totally if hte money is used to fund trail projects. No complaints from me. As for enfocement.. well I am old school. I just put the sticker on the machine and don't have to worry about it any longer.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

New Hampshire requires registration stickers. For just less than a bajillion dollars you can outfit your ride with a sticker! They run from July 1st of this year untill June 30th of Next year then its time for a new one! You better have your rigs regestered up here or the law is gonna get ya! Local Cops, Staties and Conservation Officers can and will enforce ATV laws as they see fit.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

You know it isn't all a bad thing. For one, registration helps track stolen machines. I know that many people gripe about it, but you really need to analyze what you get for the money. If your state takes time to put together a program, chances are they are also spending a lot of time planning trails, canvassing enthusiasts, training etc. Those of us that live in states that ignore ATV's and rely soley on the federal dollar to fund programs or build riding areas in naional forests can attest to the advantages that you have over us. I'd really love to have a riding area close by without having to trailer for 6 hours. Think about the cost of fuel today, 25 bucks is a bargain if I am close to home.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Trailblazer

Here in New York State they require registration and insurance. When you register you get a tag the ATV must have. I know someone who had their ATV impounded for driving on a road without insurance or registration. It took him 700 bucks to clear up the fines and have his ATV released.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:21 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

We just had our fees doubled for a 2 yr registration.Went from $25 to $50. If the money was going to be used for more trails/riding areas it wouldnt bother me as much. As it is the only thing I see my fees buying is more fences. I just got my packet of registrations for my "even year" ohv's. 12 of them...adds up to $600.00. For the last few years I havnt register all of my toys. Now I will think over what will be used and what wont. My CR500 is due this June 30th, and its going to retire after a trip to Pismo mid June.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off-Road Registration Stickers?