Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

We Are Our Own Worst Enemies

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry We Are Our Own Worst Enemies

Went riding on Memorial weekend. There were idiots camped in the roads, blocking them.
Went back this weekend to ride the same area and there was trash every where. Fire rings in the road with blackened ash and wood.
Clearly marked out of bounds areas had fresh tire tracks thru creeks and meadows.
I am going to check with the ranger and see if getting tag numbers and taking pictures of the offenders can result in arrest or at least a ticket.
I am tired of morons trampling on my rights and causing the closure of areas I ride.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hear you on that. I have seen the same things countless times. The people that do this kind of stuff are the first ones to complain when a privilege gets taken away.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

We were out ridin today and picked up a bunch of trash left by TRASH! These people are prime example of people that don't give a @#%$

Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, for some reason alcohol goes along with camping. And after they get all liquored up, they go ride everywhere like a bunch of idiots.

I am use to drunk idiots at Glamis, but on my last trip to Oregon dunes it was no better. We drove down a side road at night, and there was a group of drunk fools in the road who couldn't even muster the intelligence to get out of the way. I had to literally push them along with my bumper to get past.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

I'm thinking it's not just trails being closed because of idiots trashing places. You don't want to attract idiots like that to your favorite riding areas, so you are reluctant to share information, or maybe even try to supress it. Then, responsible riders also miss out on quality riding experiences.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with this thread. Wake up people. If we don't reign in the fringe idiots who trash our trails we won't have them. It doesn't hurt much to bring a trash bag and grab our litter before we go back to our trucks.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM
no1
Trailblazer

Give em hell Oldsmoboat. If you want a place to ride dont let others F it up for you!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
If we don't reign in the fringe idiots who trash our trails we won't have them. It doesn't hurt much to bring a trash bag and grab our litter before we go back to our trucks.
The retards that create this situation could care less about trash bags and litter. Like Recon said, they get liquored up and trash the place. The situation only degrades when one wrapped himself around a tree and the ambulance with slow lights and no siren drives off at 2am.

Certainly making no claims of sainthood here, but I do my best to not "go for a quick ride" after a few rounds around the fire ring. I guess I'm kind of guilty of the camping and drinking thing....But I don't damage or ruin anything.

I don't think there's a solution to this problem. "Wild" lands will slowly close and people will be forced onto organized trails only.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

There are many kinds of idiots! The ones I saw two weeks ago were some of the worst kind! They were headed down a very rough road ( big rocks and ruts) they started down with 5 or 6 quads and they all were riding with one hand because the other hand was holding a beer, none of them had helmets on and on two of the quads there were 3 or 4 yr. old kids riding in front of the drivers and they didn't have helmets on either! It was bad enough that they were risking their own necks and their kids lives, but what an example to the kids! They are learning about the sport in the wrong way! Don't be safe and ride responsibly! Just make your own rules!
The beer cans probably ended up in the ditch or the creek too! STUPID!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by rancher55
they started down with 5 or 6 quads and they all were riding with one hand because the other hand was holding a beer, none of them had helmets on and on two of the quads there were 3 or 4 yr. old kids riding in front
Not good, and I can envision what you describe easily.

Our only saving grace here is that fact that the % retard to percent responsible rider is so low and the revenue brought into states like Maine by ATVers can't be ignored. I heard from a local ATV club president that ATVs now generate more revenue than snowmobiles...not sure if that's true though.

Went for a quick ride in Bath, ME today (think battleship building). You would not believe how many old couches and piles of personal garbage are dumped off the 4x4 trails big enough for a pickup to fit. Many trails are closed to all 4x4 vehicles now.....even though you can't dump a couch from an ATV.

They need to put up solar powered web cams and monitor these roads so they have proof of who's responsible and we don't get lumped into the general "4x4 crowd". Would be nice to bust some of these $cumbags. Ran into a bunch of punks getting high, a couple of them doing donuts in an old Datsun pickup, then running away thinking I might be the cops. I blew past them and gave the handle bars a hard turn to the left, along with a heavy dose of throttle and threw up lots of rocks as I went past.

Quick Reply: We Are Our Own Worst Enemies