Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Engine size

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
It finally gets to the point where the size and weight becomes a detriment to the machine, not an asset. Yes, you can always make them bigger and more powerful but unless you're racing, the extra power and speed just makes for a heavier, bulkier more expensive atv that will never be allowed to fully stretch its legs. Some people actually prefer the smaller 250-300cc machines because they are easier to handle and more nimble. They might not have the straight line top speed but can actually get down trails faster with their reduced weight and tighter turning radius. Not to mention costing a lot less too, that might be the greatest asset of all.
I don't know. How much is the smile on your face worth? I had to take my quad and my son's out of the garage to get at my wood splitter. While I had it out I drove to the front of our yard and turned around. Went a few feet at 5 mph and hit the throttle. Went right up on 2 wheels. Man, the thing is fun. My son is itching to try it out. There are a few trails here and there where you can stretch it out a bit, including wintertime when you can pre-run a section of ice and then run it wide open on the way back. Another thing I like about bigger engined quads like the 800+ machines is that if you're going over a downed tree or other obstacle the front end can be popped over with just a quick stab of the throttle. While my 650 is powerful, it won't pop over like the bigger ones would.

While we're in Utah, we're going to hopefully ride the Pink Coral Sand Dunes State Park on the "way home". Sand really saps power. It's good to have the power to run right up on top. Snow too. Although, in the snow, I haven't needed more than the 650 to keep up.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Riding Saturday, I had no trouble getting my Grizzly over a few logs on the trail. I occasionally get a chance to open it up a little, might get to hit 40 mph for a couple seconds before I have to slow down or hit a rut so hard I get thrown over the bars. I can see where riding in sand would require more power, much like riding in snow. The extra resistance really drags the machine down. The 1000cc machines would be a ton of fun but 12-13K for something like an Outlander 1000 put them out of the budget of most people. If money were no object, I could see an Outlander 1000 and a 60" Maverick 1000 in my garage. I think the 60" version is more versatile(fits on more trails) and almost the same power to weight as the turbo version.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arnt the 1k models de-tuned from the factory?
When I had my 400ex the guy I rode with had a 700xx. In the woods and on the trails one was no faster than the other because conditions dictate speed. On a side note we were much faster than the 1k 4x4's who would struggle to keep pace .

Old 08-25-2016, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

As owner of this thread let me jump back in. Engine size was the question, and I just answered it myself. I used to advocate that 500 CC's was enough. I have had a change in heart. I am now the proud owner of two, yes TWO new can-ams. And Mrs DB ALSO has a new machine in the shed. Reasons are many. And although I could have gone the maxed out 1000 CC's route, I didn't. I settled for two 850 Can-Ams. One a Renegade 850 X XC. And a 850 Commander X MR. And Mrs DB got a new Commander X MR 570. I bought the 850 X MR for me because I use the crap out of my old Honda Rubicon around the house. And on occasion, I skid 30 ft logs with it and have gotten stuck with it. Well, I really like the monster mud tires for traction in leafy hillsides. Places where the honda would have trouble, I can blow through it no problem. I got the renegade as a replacement for my Yamaha Raptor, and it will be my trail ride machine. Not that the mud machine would not handle trail riding, but well, it was there, and I had my checkbook out.... and it was all pretty and all, and it sort of called my name in a low soothing voice.... or maybe that was MRS DB wanting me to look at the 570 X MR. While listening to her go on about the 570, I kept staring at the Renegade, and well let's just say, I got a package deal along with a ton of accessories. (I also had to order a new trailer to haul them) Sneaky SOB ain't I? Oh and I found out that Keystone makes a really nice new toyhauler that has a 16 ft garage in it with a king bed too... but I'll have to wait on that for a while if I truly intend to retire at some point. So right now I am waiting for the accessories to come in. I sprung for the tracks too. As I intend to push snow with it this Winter up at the cabin. Which just might be our full time home if things work out.... (Wisconsin) Anywho... my wallet needs a rest, and I am stuck working for at least another couple years while I figure out a way to pay for a new truck and toy hauler to haul them around the country on a more or less full time basis. And no, I kept the Rubicon, and Mrs DB's Grizzly. Just in case our kids want to tag along once in a while. So although I am a hypocrite now and broke my own rules. Yeah, I have drank the kool aide of bigger is better. But know this, I resisted the urge to go all the way to 1000 CC's. I am too old to use all that HP anyway. Anyway, that power steering is SWEET. Still breaking them in. Sure hope Mrs DB is OK on hers. It is way more machine than her 450 Griz. If any of you recall, when she bought HER 450 Griz, she had a serious heart attack two days later and wasn't able to ride for nearly 6 months. Her first ride was her CPSC training class, which I highly recommend to anyone starting out. These machines ARE heavy though. probably 250 lbs more than the old ones. But once rolling they more than give me a very pleasant ride. We both like the radiators mounted up high on the front racks too on the X MR's. I have winches on all 3 of them too. The Renegade is just a dream. A little lighter than the X MR. Handles very well. AND NO, none of the kids are going to ride my new toys. These are daddy's and Moms. They can buy their own.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Hey Moose, let me know how the Utah ride goes. Been giving that system a long hard look. It won't happen until after I retire, but that really looks inviting. Idaho too. Maybe Moab. Will probably spend a lot of time in Wisconsin around the cabin we had built. I only have 9 acres, but it will be a great jump off point even if I have to trailer to the trails. It is within a hour or two. Not like the 6 to 8 to get to Hatfield McCoy, Kentucky or PA.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll let you know DB. I'm heading out with my son, Moose One, and my buddy, Paul's son Paul. 1 day... Not sure how I'll do with that long a ride out and back but, at least, we can go where we want with enough power to get us anywhere out there.

Congratulations on the new rides!!! Wow, you went for broke. Or maybe broke. Glad you got the bug. It's great to have more power than you need. If you go out, give Specta, here on the forums a try. He's going to ride with us on a couple of the days. We had a great time with him back in 2013. If you can't get a hold of him through the forum you could PM me and I'll give him your contact info. He got a Brute Force last year and he's been smiling every since. He loves the power over his old Rubicon that he had owned.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:37 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I find my self using my 350 more than my 500 on our slow ,rough and twisty trails. I cant get over 25 mph for very long.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...consumer demand dictates...as long as consumers are willing to pay for larger engines with more power the manufactures will be happy to oblige...you are seeing this across the board (cars/bikes/sleds/atvs/etc.)...until Uncle steps in...then everyone will be crying about over regulation...

It's a no win situation where perception/opinion rules the roost...

IMHO...

Old 08-25-2016, 03:59 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If you are riding in conditions a minivan can follow you. then you are not really ATVing.
I have friends that want to ride on wide smooth logging roads at 50 mph that a corvette sting ray could handle , that's not ATVing.

Here is a ATV trail ride photo (top) the (below) photo is a road that you use to get to a trail to unload your ATV.

When you can ride a steady 40 mph ,your on a dirt road not a bush trail so you might as well just leave your ATV in the box of the truck and listen to music with the AC on .

Old 08-25-2016, 06:04 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
If you are riding in conditions a minivan can follow you. then you are not really ATVing.
I have friends that want to ride on wide smooth logging roads at 50 mph that a corvette sting ray could handle , that's not ATVing.

Here is a ATV trail ride photo (top) the (below) photo is a road that you use to get to a trail to unload your ATV.

When you can ride a steady 40 mph ,your on a dirt road not a bush trail so you might as well just leave your ATV in the box of the truck and listen to music with the AC on .

looks like typical new england trails that all the big atv's and sxs's ride- which I'd consider 100% atv'ing

Quick Reply: Engine size