Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Engine size

Old 08-25-2016, 06:11 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
As owner of this thread let me jump back in. Engine size was the question, and I just answered it myself. I used to advocate that 500 CC's was enough. I have had a change in heart. I am now the proud owner of two, yes TWO new can-ams. And Mrs DB ALSO has a new machine in the shed. Reasons are many. And although I could have gone the maxed out 1000 CC's route, I didn't. I settled for two 850 Can-Ams. One a Renegade 850 X XC. And a 850 Commander X MR. And Mrs DB got a new Commander X MR 570. I bought the 850 X MR for me because I use the crap out of my old Honda Rubicon around the house. And on occasion, I skid 30 ft logs with it and have gotten stuck with it. Well, I really like the monster mud tires for traction in leafy hillsides. Places where the honda would have trouble, I can blow through it no problem. I got the renegade as a replacement for my Yamaha Raptor, and it will be my trail ride machine. Not that the mud machine would not handle trail riding, but well, it was there, and I had my checkbook out.... and it was all pretty and all, and it sort of called my name in a low soothing voice.... or maybe that was MRS DB wanting me to look at the 570 X MR. While listening to her go on about the 570, I kept staring at the Renegade, and well let's just say, I got a package deal along with a ton of accessories. (I also had to order a new trailer to haul them) Sneaky SOB ain't I? Oh and I found out that Keystone makes a really nice new toyhauler that has a 16 ft garage in it with a king bed too... but I'll have to wait on that for a while if I truly intend to retire at some point. So right now I am waiting for the accessories to come in. I sprung for the tracks too. As I intend to push snow with it this Winter up at the cabin. Which just might be our full time home if things work out.... (Wisconsin) Anywho... my wallet needs a rest, and I am stuck working for at least another couple years while I figure out a way to pay for a new truck and toy hauler to haul them around the country on a more or less full time basis. And no, I kept the Rubicon, and Mrs DB's Grizzly. Just in case our kids want to tag along once in a while. So although I am a hypocrite now and broke my own rules. Yeah, I have drank the kool aide of bigger is better. But know this, I resisted the urge to go all the way to 1000 CC's. I am too old to use all that HP anyway. Anyway, that power steering is SWEET. Still breaking them in. Sure hope Mrs DB is OK on hers. It is way more machine than her 450 Griz. If any of you recall, when she bought HER 450 Griz, she had a serious heart attack two days later and wasn't able to ride for nearly 6 months. Her first ride was her CPSC training class, which I highly recommend to anyone starting out. These machines ARE heavy though. probably 250 lbs more than the old ones. But once rolling they more than give me a very pleasant ride. We both like the radiators mounted up high on the front racks too on the X MR's. I have winches on all 3 of them too. The Renegade is just a dream. A little lighter than the X MR. Handles very well. AND NO, none of the kids are going to ride my new toys. These are daddy's and Moms. They can buy their own.

one of my favorite rides was when I'm winding through semi-tight trails on my renegade 800- coming around a tree or tight corner, placing my weight on the inside well and flicking the throttle- all tires instantly break loose and the rene drifts around the corner like it's on ice

congrats of the big-bore purchase! NOW GO GIT'EM DIRTY!!!

Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
looks like typical new england trails that all the big atv's and sxs's ride- which I'd consider 100% atv'ing

The trail the connects that road to that river is what I would be interested in. Where people stopped they could get hit by a logging truck or a taxis cab.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:55 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
The trail the connects that road to that river is what I would be interested in. Where people stopped they could get hid by a logging truck or a taxis cab.
we've had a few close calls up here too- lots of trails dump into the logging roads- every now and then the timing it spot on and you exit the trail as a logging truck is going by. I personally hate riding logging roads- I'll literally start falling asleep after 2 miles of dirt road. Northern maine has many great interconnecting trail systems- all connected by logging roads- so it's not uncommon to spend 15 miles or more on a dirt road before hitting a side trail.
the worst is when you waste 1/2 tank of gas riding logging roads just to reach a good wooded trail- and then having to take the same logging road back- ugh.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut

one of my favorite rides was when I'm winding through semi-tight trails on my renegade 800- coming around a tree or tight corner, placing my weight on the inside well and flicking the throttle- all tires instantly break loose and the rene drifts around the corner like it's on ice

congrats of the big-bore purchase! NOW GO GIT'EM DIRTY!!!
Any time you can steer with the throttle is a surefire way to put a grin on my face, and at that point I could care less how wide the trail is. Last time I was out the trail system had a lot of loose dust and dirt in the corners and what a blast drifting the wildcat through that stuff!

Old 08-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are room for both kinds of trails. I like negotiating tight trails but faster, more wide open trails that would be considered easy can be fun too. Side by sides will eventually outnumber atvs so many ride parks have already widened their trails to accomodate. I recently have debated buying a side by side myself. My local dealer has dramatically discounted many of their used units. Just yesterday I test rode a 2014 Wildcat Trail with 1053 miles on it that they were selling for $5999. Very impressed with the power of the machine. I spun the tires on the asphalt taking off in the parking lot, very touchy throttle. Especially in reverse. I was going to park it exactly where it was but I stopped a few feet short as I though I would crash into the building. But very quick, I would guess its just as quick as my Brute Force, power to weight is very similar. No power steering on the unit. It wasn't unmanageable but it definitely took some effort to turn at slow speeds. I also test rode a 2015 Pioneer 500 as well, it was the same price, still quite a bargain for an almost new machine. Well after about 30 seconds, I could see I would never want one of those. Such an underpowered and slow machine, what a slug. You had to be in at least 3rd gear to go more than about 12 mph or rev the machine so high that it sounded like the engine would explode. Even then, it still wouldn't even do 20 mph in 3rd gear. I think its geared way too low. I liked the paddle shifters but just wish there was more performance to go along with such a cool feature. If it had about 50 hp instead of 28, it could be a fun machine. Like for instance put something with about the power of the Grizzly 700 or Suzuki KQ 750 single in there instead of the Foreman 500 engine and you'd have something. The Foreman 500 engine is adequate in a quad but just felt very overworked in the Pioneer 500. It was like riding one of the older Gators or Mules. The Pioneer 500 would be fine for work I suppose but I feel it doesn't have enough speed or power to be a fun machine to trail ride.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A stiffer throttle spring takes a lot of the touchyness out of that cat. A stiffer secondary makes it downright smooth and much better engine breaking as well!

Old 08-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
There are room for both kinds of trails. I like negotiating tight trails but faster, more wide open trails that would be considered easy can be fun too. Side by sides will eventually outnumber atvs so many ride parks have already widened their trails to accomodate. I recently have debated buying a side by side myself. My local dealer has dramatically discounted many of their used units. Just yesterday I test rode a 2014 Wildcat Trail with 1053 miles on it that they were selling for $5999. Very impressed with the power of the machine. I spun the tires on the asphalt taking off in the parking lot, very touchy throttle. Especially in reverse. I was going to park it exactly where it was but I stopped a few feet short as I though I would crash into the building. But very quick, I would guess its just as quick as my Brute Force, power to weight is very similar. No power steering on the unit. It wasn't unmanageable but it definitely took some effort to turn at slow speeds. I also test rode a 2015 Pioneer 500 as well, it was the same price, still quite a bargain for an almost new machine. Well after about 30 seconds, I could see I would never want one of those. Such an underpowered and slow machine, what a slug. You had to be in at least 3rd gear to go more than about 12 mph or rev the machine so high that it sounded like the engine would explode. Even then, it still wouldn't even do 20 mph in 3rd gear. I think its geared way too low. I liked the paddle shifters but just wish there was more performance to go along with such a cool feature. If it had about 50 hp instead of 28, it could be a fun machine. Like for instance put something with about the power of the Grizzly 700 or Suzuki KQ 750 single in there instead of the Foreman 500 engine and you'd have something. The Foreman 500 engine is adequate in a quad but just felt very overworked in the Pioneer 500. It was like riding one of the older Gators or Mules. The Pioneer 500 would be fine for work I suppose but I feel it doesn't have enough speed or power to be a fun machine to trail ride.
I like the Wildcat trail and RZR 900s (even the 570) a lot. Definetly a different class than the pioneer 500. I wouldn't have gotten the P-500 if I didn't have powerful quads already. It's a nice machine to leisurly drive around the property or tight trails with the GF or a family member and can still be fun when you kick it in the behind down the shorter fire roads at times but it certainly isn't setting any speed records. I've been pretty rough on mine so far and it has held up as expected. 120hrs without a hiccup. Switching to 26" tires did increase the gearing without a noticeable power loss. The engine does make up down low for what it lacks in the upper RPM so short shifting isn't really an issue. 1st-3rd are extremly short. 5mph in first (which is labeled as "low"), 10 in 2nd, 15 in 3rd and your in 4th by 20mph. Mine hits the speed limiter at 41mph in 5th on flat ground. if your looking for a thrill ride, I'd definetly look at the other brands

Old 08-27-2016, 05:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess I just don't feel the same way about the machine as you do. The fact that you have one was the only reason I gave it a chance in the first place. Give the machine more power and it could be a really fun ride. The paddle shifters work really well. I really like that concept. I see for 2017 Honda put them on all the Pioneer models, the 500, 700, and 1000. I didn't expect it to feel like a rally car but it felt like I was driving a tractor. I'm sure bigger tires would help some as those tiny 24" stock tires are so small that they look silly. It definitely doesn't need a low range, I'll give it that. Perhaps Honda will release something a bit sportier in the 50" wide class sometime in 2017. I have seen several people that seem to like the Pioneer 500 but I just can't give the machine much love myself. I may simply keep my Brute Force and buy a 2nd atv like an older Scrambler 400 or something like that. Something fast to zip around on and still have my 4x4 utility machine. If I didn't hate dealing with a manual clutch so much, I'd probably just buy a Raptor 660 or something like that to have something to really rip on. There are a couple of ride parks pretty close to me that are quite sport quad friendly that it would be blast to have something like that. I saw an older Polaris Scrambler 400 2x4 that I think I could get for about $1000 http://stlouis.craigslist.org/snw/5726349398.html, those are pretty fast too, especially the lighter 2wd versions and still have the ease of a cvt auto. Even saw a nice KFX 700 for about 2 grand http://bn.craigslist.org/snw/5728476605.html. For less than the difference of trading my Brute for a side by side, I can simply add another quad to the stable.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

I'd rather add to the stable then trade. Reason being, no machine is perfect for all terrains and situations. As fast as the renegade is, it still can't carve thru a rough and tight trail the way either of my 700xx's can. And when the snow falls or the trails are muddy, vice versa.

The KFX would probably be a perfect machine for you. It's basically a lightweight 2wd brute force with better suspension. I'd imagine they share a lot of maintnence parts such as oil filters, belts, ect

Old 08-28-2016, 06:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah when trading in you always lose money. I have found a few older Polaris Sport 400 quads pretty cheap, basically the same thing as a Scrambler 400 2wd. Even found one for $750 that supposedly runs pretty well and has good tires on it 1998 Polaris 400 Sport. I'm not necessarily a 2 stroke fan but those are pretty quick and I like the idea of not having a lot invested. I had a Scrambler 400 a few years ago that I bought cheap but the engine blew apart after about 3 months. So I'm a bit leery of another 2 stroke. But for a few hundred bucks even if it does the same thing, not must invested anyway. The nice KFX 700's cost a lot more but I guess you get what you pay for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine size