Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Polaris Lobbying for 65" Trails

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgar
Sounds like the sxs guys have plenty of fun places to play if they have 1000s of 72" wide trails. Whats the problem? They dont feel special because they have to share the trails with jeeps? At 65" wide they are much closer to a jeep than a 50" wide quad.
I think its up to the owners of the sxs to research if and where they can ride before they purchase a machine. I can go out and buy a Lambo that goes 200mph. Pay the state to put it on the road. But that doesnt mean some of the speed limits should be 150 mph because a small percentage of the population has fast cars. Just my 2 cents.
Very interesting thread.
1000s miles of 72'' trail for the SxS guys to PLAY on! Are you kidding me?

It is not the miles or the WIDTH of the trail that concerns most folks, but rather the CHALLENGE of the trail. Very few people want to ride any of their off road vehicles, whether it be a dirt bike, ATV or SxS on a 72 inch wide trail because a trail this wide does not offer any challenges.

Using your ideology, than lets make EVERY ORVer operate on a 72 inch trail, whether it be a dirt bike, ATV, SxS or full size.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well,some of the non-profit clubs are laughing all the way to the bank in Michigan now. Just approved is the new $ 36.25 ORV sticker for next year April, 2014 ORV Sticker
. We go from $16.25 a year to more than double the fee to ride on Michigan's unkept trails.

What a joke!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Never heard of inch width rule or law for a off road trail.
Your allowed to drive a bus down any trail you want here (northern Ontario) as long as you think it has a chance of making it.
Is this law in every state?

Old 07-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MUDDY4LIFE
Well,some of the non-profit clubs are laughing all the way to the bank in Michigan now. Just approved is the new $ 36.25 ORV sticker for next year April, 2014 ORV Sticker
. We go from $16.25 a year to more than double the fee to ride on Michigan's unkept trails.

What a joke!
I've been hearing about a price increase for the last few years. I hope you're wrong. It will make people not want to buy a sticker.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Wink $36.25 ORV STICER FEE, not a joke!

No Sir, I am 100% certain that Michigan will be going to a 2-tier ORV sticker fee effective April 1st of 2014. It will cost you the following,

*$26.25 to ride under PA240 ONLY!
*$36.25 to ride under PA240 & Michigans 3600 miles of designated ORV trails.

Feel free to look it up yourself, you dont have to take my word for it. Go to Michigan legislature and look up House Bill # 4669 which was signed and turned into LAW on June 25TH of 2013

PA240 allow the counties north of US 10 [ Bay City exit ] the authority to allow ORV operation on the far righthand maintained portion of an OPENED county roadway ONLY. This will NOT allow you access to operate on the 3600 miles of designated ORV trails, that would cost you $36.25 per ORV.

Some of the non-profits, who some, rake in over 250k a year for sub-standard trail maintenance, are laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

And that is a bad thing? Out here in VA, we would kill for a registration system, or a state government that was even interested in off road trails and ATV/UTV's. Our problem is when we go to take our machines out of state. Most will not let us ride because they are not registered. So I have to register in PA, then I can go to WV. Where every rider must purchase a trail pass to be on the Hatfield McCoy. Cost? $50 per calendar year per person. Whether you are a kid or an adult. So your fees are quite reasonable considering they are putting at least some of it back into trails.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Range Rover

Too bad about the registrations on the east coast. Out west, some states offer reciprocity, meaning there is a mutual agreement between states not to charge non-residents fees. So since I have my ATV registered in Washington State, I can ride in Idaho, Oregon, Utah, etc. It's just like automobiles.

http://stateparks.utah.gov/sites/sta...states2012.pdf

Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I don't mind paying an out of state permit fee as long as it is reasonable. But some states make you pay sales tax again. WI is one. If you come from a state where they do not register the vehicles, they make you pay WI sales tax.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
And that is a bad thing? Out here in VA, we would kill for a registration system, or a state government that was even interested in off road trails and ATV/UTV's. Our problem is when we go to take our machines out of state. Most will not let us ride because they are not registered. So I have to register in PA, then I can go to WV. Where every rider must purchase a trail pass to be on the Hatfield McCoy. Cost? $50 per calendar year per person. Whether you are a kid or an adult. So your fees are quite reasonable considering they are putting at least some of it back into trails.
I do not think you completely understand the politics that goes into these ORV sticker fee in Michigan. Our ORV sport is self supported 100% through the $$ originated through these sticker fee's and these fee's are earmarked. The problem is there is SO much WASTE of these dollars and very little ACCOUNTABILITY on behalf of the Department of Natural Resources for the spending of these dollars. Its more or less the DNR are telling Michigan ORV users ''sign a blank check and we'll tell yah what yah get later''..Many of our trails are not even remotely groomed to trail specification guidelines as outlined in the ORV Trail Spec Manual, yet,many of the non profits continue to rake in 1000s of dollars for sub-standard work each year. We have one dirt bike club who averages 250k or more PER YEAR for doing some of the sub-standard trail maintenance I mention. Many law enforcement officers, who have little/no ORV Safety training credentials to teach, were averaging 66 kids per ORV safety class, while sucking out $ 20.00 per student from the ORV safety education fund and than were legally able to charge an additional class fee of up to $ 25.00 bucks per student to the parent. One BIG cash cow for law enforcement. While Michigan has about 3600 miles of ORV trails, the DNR only inspect these miles with a total of 3 ORV Trail Tech Coordinators. The end result is a trail that does not get fully inspected and a grant sponsor who gets paid anyways.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cudavic
If you increase the width of the trails heads you'll have jeeps ans small trucks on the trails.

After the first 2 or 3 are forfeited that will come to a halt.

Quick Reply: Polaris Lobbying for 65" Trails