Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Old 06-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why not street legal?

i think we all know that gas prices are killing our wallet, especially those of us who have rather large trucks with large engines. so i've asked myself for years, why arent atvs street legal? has anyone else wondered why that is? if it's because people think they're dangerous, look at street bikes! Hmmmm, 70 miles per hour tops on a stock wheeler, or 180 mph on 2 wheels? i'd say that four wheelers are definately safer, especially if the person at the bars knows what they're doing and they're mature enough to handle that responsibility. if anyone knows how to possibly change this, try and change it! or tell me how to. im in mississippi, and i've been emailing people and writing letters lately, because gas is 1.85 a gallon. which i know is cheaper than most places, but it's still a lot more expensive than last summer, of 1.33. and i know this hits a lot of people. so give me some feedback here! any help you can give would be appreciated. ya never know, maybe we could change the history of atvs. they're street legal overseas in a lot of places, so why not over here?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It depends on the state. For instance, in Arizona, ATV's can be made street legal with a few modifications

Old 06-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

and i would imagine that those few mods consist of what? directionals, horn and a speedometer? if it's that easy, is it like that in every state, just no one does it? i'd really like to know, so i know what to correct. that way i dont have to worry about getting pulled over at every intersection. i'm trying to figure out how to make my atv 100% street legal, with no worries about tickets. would anyone happen to know how in mississippi?

Old 06-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Horn ,mirror, brake light, and I dont know whether or not you need turn signals. But, most states do not allow ATV's on the street. Soem do though. You would have to check with your local DMV

Old 06-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Don't know about MS, but in Texas, they are titled as ORV (off road vehicle) and cannot be made street legal because of that.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer

i've gotten a few emails back from the state department, and they said the only thing holding four wheelers from being street legal are off road tires, no directionals, no speedometer, no brake light, and no brakes. yes, that's right, the person making the laws in mississippi must think that atv's have no brakes. but anyway, i emailed her back and informed her that infact, most quads now come with brake lights, and obviously brakes, and the rest of the stuff can easily be bought and installed with no problem. so we'll see what she says. maybe this wont be so hard after all. if anyone else in south mississippi is wanting to do this, email me and we'll see what we can get accomplished down here. wfo660r@hotmail.com

Old 06-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Texas has a procedure to get an OHV title switched over to a regular title. Check with the DMV, ask as if you have an enduro style bike and want to get it tagged. If you mention an ATV, they'll tell you no without even looking up the laws.

I got a sandrail titled for on road use, I don't see why an ATV can't be done.

Old 06-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

I'm glad I live in Az. Bought my new DS650 and went MVD to register it. The clerk asked me if I wanted the offroad registration (one time $12 fee) or on road registration ($135 per year + emmissions, although new vehicles don't actually have to be tested until 6 years - but you gotta pay anyway ? ) I choses on road registration. The clerk said to make sure I had the proper equipment, as the police will enforce the rules.

It is the MVDs role to do the paperwork and the police role to make sure its street legal. I have not ridden on the street yet as I need to get mirrors and a horn. I am also looking for DOT approved tires that will fit quad rims, and / or 13"-14" rims that will fit a DS650 bolt pattern to put small car tires on the quad.

For those back east who want to be street legal, the simple solution is move to AZ. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You can be street legal, close to the desert & mountains for riding, & 4 hours from the dunes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] No snow either, except in the mountains. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

No wait, we are full! Its really hot here!!! Stay away!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer

i've been talking to the people in the state department here in mississippi and the guy i talked to yesterday said there's actually no law that says an ATV can't be ridden on the street with the proper equipment. now i just have to figure out how to get tags for it. it's pretty obvious that the people that make the laws dont know a whole lot about ATVs. The guy said that an atv wouldnt be legal until i added a brake light and brakes. And now almost all quads have a brake light, and as far as i know, quads have always had brakes. he also said that an atv would fall under mississippi's 'slow moving vehicle' law. i asked what the limit was on that, and he said any vehicle that doesnt exceed 25 mph. so they really have no idea what quads are about, yet they're making all these rules and regulations on what to do to make them street legal. we'll see what happens, though. i have to call the tax comission department. And azsandrider, i think i'll pass on the moving to arizona thing. i spent 7 month in kuwait on deployment, and i've had enough sand and heat to last me a lifetime. And i dont think i'd be able to live anywhere where it doesnt snow. the only reason im in mississippi is because i'm stationed here.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:13 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Check out this site about getting quads street legal. He sells packages to do this. Little Foot Conversions.

We're SOL in CA until things get changed. They just closed a bit of a loophole and now require emissions certifications from the manufacturer for on-road use. I'm not sure what kind of mileage I get, but I'm sure it would be better than I get in even my small car (20 city [if lucky], and probably even beat the 32 on the highway I get.) But the insurance would cost anywhere from 600-1200/yr. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: why not street legal?