Grant-in-aid trails in Southern MN/Metro - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 03-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Default Grant-in-aid trails in Southern MN/Metro

Outside of northern MN, there are no ATV trails, and the ditches are closed in the spring and summer, leaving nowhere to ride. I am wondering how hard it would be to get a group together to form a club that uses the grant in aid program to turn some of the wide ditches we have into ATV and dirt bike trails so they can be used all year long.
Is anyone interested? I'm in the west metro, so i'm wondering if anyone else is interested in Carver/Wright area.

Bruce Russell
Old 03-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Back Country Explorer

Hi bjr2000: We recently moved away from Minnesota or I'd sign up. I'm a former Delano resident now living in Colorado. I got interested in ATVs just recently here in Colorado. I know the local Delano snowmobile club has a trail route along the Crow River and county 16. Of course, riding on the snow is less harmful to the terrain than slashing ATVs would be.

However, I understand Minnesota now has limited use of secondary roads for ATVs. My friend in Watertown was riding his Can Am side by side around town all the time before I moved away. I do not know the "rules", but something like getting a permit from the local police and maybe some street legal equipment like mirrors and signals and the like.

Then the gravel road system would be great riding on ATVs. Who needs trails when we have perfectly good dirt roads that go around lovely lakes or along the rivers in Minnesota. No speeding or stunt riding though.

David

Attached Thumbnails
Grant-in-aid trails in Southern MN/Metro-1702-street-ride-2-small-.jpg  
Old 03-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

My understanding is that city and township roads are by default legal to atvs, without an ordinance. My reasoning for the ditch trails on county and state roads is that there are some places, especially gas stations, and other places that people would like to ride to that are inaccessible during the summer months. As well as township roads that only connect to county roads.
Also, i looked into the atv trail by the crow river that you mentioned and my search turned up nothing, could you point me in the right direction?

Bruce Russell
Old 03-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Back Country Explorer

I didn't mean to mislead you. The snowmobile trail I spoke of reverts back to a grass filled ditch in the summer. There is no ATV trail. I have never seen an ATV in the ditches in Minnesota. But plenty of snowmobiles in the ditches all winter.

Check with your local authorities and find out where you can ride on gravel roads.

David
Old 03-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Definitely do the leg work and get a club up and running. Their is a lot of work behind the scenes that no one ever knows about. While i doubt that they would give you access to ride in the ditches do to the damage that would be done as well as the dirt that would get washed down into the rivers and streams. But once you get going you can always apply and start creating your own trail system.. Its a lot of work so don't get frustrated i have trails that are now in the system for the 3rd year now and on their final step of approval