OHV Riders Rights and also Politics This forum is for political and open discussions only. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum stays in this forum.

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words...........here are three

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Gotacha. I thought you were saying I said the debate is over. I'm not 100% convinced either, but don't want to take the chance based on the evidence.
If we had real evidence of MMGW we should be pressing China to comply with our environmental standards.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Where did you read this stuff? .
(Re: Chronic unemployment in Europe.)

See Site - Young and jobless in Europe: getting a foot in the door

Just Google unemployement and europe and you'll find plenty more to read.

You're right though about BOA not being bankrupt. However, the government did force them to pay $15 billion more for Merrill Lynch than their accountants figured it was worth. News reports this past week question whether it was even worth that.

You also indicated that 1987 crash was no big deal. Where did you get that idea?

"October 19, 1987, when stock markets around the world crashed, shedding a huge value in a very short time. The crash began in Hong Kong, spread west through international time zones to Europe, hitting the United States after other markets had already declined by a significant margin. The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) dropped by 508 points to 1738.74 (22.61%).[1] By the end of October, stock markets in Hong Kong had fallen 45.8%, Australia 41.8%, Spain 31%, the United Kingdom 26.4%, the United States 22.68%, and Canada 22.5%. New Zealand's market was hit especially hard, falling about 60% from its 1987 peak, and taking several years to recover."

I'll have to admit though that the stock markets have recovered fairly well, again. But, I still think we need to be concerned about long-term consequences of government taking over major segments of the economy and businesses.

How about GM deciding to keep open a warehouse facility in Barney Frank's district after getting a call from the Congressman? A business decision was negated by political pressure. That's scary.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60
(Re: Chronic unemployment in Europe.)

See Site - Young and jobless in Europe: getting a foot in the door

Just Google unemployement and europe and you'll find plenty more to read.

You're right though about BOA not being bankrupt. However, the government did force them to pay $15 billion more for Merrill Lynch than their accountants figured it was worth. News reports this past week question whether it was even worth that.

You also indicated that 1987 crash was no big deal. Where did you get that idea?

"October 19, 1987, when stock markets around the world crashed, shedding a huge value in a very short time. The crash began in Hong Kong, spread west through international time zones to Europe, hitting the United States after other markets had already declined by a significant margin. The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) dropped by 508 points to 1738.74 (22.61%).[1] By the end of October, stock markets in Hong Kong had fallen 45.8%, Australia 41.8%, Spain 31%, the United Kingdom 26.4%, the United States 22.68%, and Canada 22.5%. New Zealand's market was hit especially hard, falling about 60% from its 1987 peak, and taking several years to recover."

I'll have to admit though that the stock markets have recovered fairly well, again. But, I still think we need to be concerned about long-term consequences of government taking over major segments of the economy and businesses.

How about GM deciding to keep open a warehouse facility in Barney Frank's district after getting a call from the Congressman? A business decision was negated by political pressure. That's scary.

How do I know the 87 crash was no big deal?

Well, here's a chart of the s&p 500:

Name:  sp500all.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  93.7 KB

You see 1987 in there? Was it a big deal? Don't think so.

In 1987 I was 14. I was in school the day the market crashed. Dad had been an investor since the 70's and seemed to do ok at it, so, after school I asked him what was up with the markets and he said "Its no big deal."

I don't know about the other stuff you're on about.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

That chart seems very strange. I was consulting for an investment firm at the time of the 1987 crash, and believe me it was a big deal. My client had trouble reaching brokerage firms on "Black Monday" and for some time afterward, because they wouldn't answer their phones. But, I guess it did not have much long term impact.

The thing to keep in mind is that back then we didn't have government directing car companies, banks and brokerage firms. The market sorted itself out and kept going. Things are very different today.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Quoting from 2009:

Originally Posted by JustRandy

Well,,, I don't know too much about all that. All I know is the economic perspective. Oil is almost $70 again. Copper is up nicely. Stocks are above the long-term moving averages. Unemployment is slowing, if not reversing. Housing is turning. The summer of 2007 was a good time to present a coming recession argument... But not now.

Look at the unemployment rate. Its clearly closer to a top than a bottom: St. Louis Fed: Series: UNRATE, Civilian Unemployment Rate

Inventory to sales ratio is closer to a top than a bottom: St. Louis Fed: Series: ISRATIO, Inventory to Sales Ratio: Total Business

Vehicle sales: St. Louis Fed: Series: ALTSALES, Light Weight Vehicle Sales: Autos & Light Trucks

Consumer Sentiment: St. Louis Fed: Series: UMCSENT, University of Michigan: Consumer Sentiment

Housing starts: St. Louis Fed: Series: HOUST, Housing Starts: Total: New Privately Owned Housing Units Started

Things are going to get better, not worse.
Originally Posted by DeeDawg

Sorry, but I am going to have to respectfully disagree.

That graph shows unemployment is still climbing.

"Ratio" is the key word here - dealerships have a huge amount of inventory and few sales - as shown by your graph.

This graph also shows sales dropping like a hot rock.

This gragh shows consumer confidence is as low as it's been in 30 years.

This graph shows housing starts dropping like there is no tomorrow.

Again, we will have to agree to disagree.
Just think of all the money you could have made if you had agreed with me.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Anyway, we may get a chance to try again.

When we finally do get inflation, I don't see how they (Fed, ECB, BOJ, etc) will be able to raise rates high enough to stop it without causing defaults on the debt they created. It's either: crash the system or let inflation run away. It doesn't look good.

I'll come back in another 7 years to see how accurate this call was

Old 05-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much is this picture worth?

Attached Thumbnails They say a picture is worth a 1000 words...........here are three-trump.jpg  
Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
How much is this picture worth?
Atleast 270 electoral votes

Old 05-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I hope Trump is really as pro-gun rights, tax cuts, etc. as he says he is. He changes views every other day it seems. To me, it's kind of sad to see the final two candidates are a self absorbed, it's all about me, narcissist, and someone who quite possibly will be facing felony charges.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I hope Trump is really as pro-gun rights, tax cuts, etc. as he says he is. He changes views every other day it seems. To me, it's kind of sad to see the final two candidates are a self absorbed, it's all about me, narcissist, and someone who quite possibly will be facing felony charges.
We haven't had a Honest president since Reagan but since you appear to be leaning towards the "never trump" crowd, can you tell me someone else who was running that also hasn't changed their mind depending on national reaction? Every politician that was in the race was essentially for amnesty of all illegals, trade agreements that have now shown to cripple the economy and all of them got rich off the tax payer. They call it public service but who do they really serve? Non of them ever sold a product or built anything. Non of them truly know how the economy works. Even Ted Cruz, who I liked in the beginning turned out to be a fraud. He even wanted to let the Syrian migrants here before he realized it would hurt him politically. He was all for auditing the fed, until the time to vote came around. Heidi, his wife, is far from a innocent housewife and If I was a betting man, I'd say the DC madam connection is very true. Also, he was born in Canada. Sure conservatives may not care now because he has a phony Texas accent but if it was a liberal Saudi who was born in Saudi arabia for the first 4 years of his life while having a mother with dual citizenship, I'd bet republicans would be in a uproar (and justifyably so). Maybe you won't agree on everything with trump, but his main talking points are what matters and they have been pretty consistent. We know who he is and what he strives for- and that's success. I don't believe he would sabotage his own ideas if he becomes elected.

Quick Reply: They say a picture is worth a 1000 words...........here are three