deer/elk/bear/moose rifles

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deer/elk/bear/moose rifles

well i hunt you know i use a remington .300 ultra mag it will drop an elk at 500 yards, and i was wondering if they make Semi-automatic rifles in that caliber? because i have a bolt action, and i want a semi-automatic, does anyone know of a website that shows a semi-automatic rifle in this caliber?

also my stock and is all fiberglass, its strong but i want a wooden stock do they still make those wooden stocks?

what deer rifles do you some of you people have? i also have a 30-06 semi auto

later

Old 12-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

Remington does not make a semi-auto chambered for the 300ultra mag,although I think browning make makea BAR in that caliber with wood stock. If you however are a Remington man, like myself you wont be happy with a Browning LOL... Out of curiosity why do you want to got to semi-auto vs bolt??

Old 12-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nether Remington or Browning make a autoloader in 300 ultra mag.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

i don't know i thought that semi's were better than bolt, because if i ran into a 1600 pound bear charging at me full speed, i want a fast shootin gun, but if remmington doesn't make semi then i won't and probably will never get one, does remington make wood stocks? you like bolt actions i take it, i think they are cool, don't ask me why i wanted to get a semi-automatic

later

Old 12-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Remington and Browning make autoloaders in a number of calibers. The largest 30 calibers are 300 Win Mags and WSM. They both make them in walnut and plastic stocks. I personally like and own single shot rifles like Ruger No 1s and Thompson Centers.

So if a 1600-pound bear charges me I guess I better do it right the first time or kiss my BOB goodbye.

Old 12-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

Yes I do prefer bolt actions over auto-loaders but I think its purely a personal preference. Bolts actions are generally more accurate then auto loaders but not so much more that it will affect you hunting unless you are taking extremely long range shots. Anything inside of 300yds, for big game , I doubt you would even notice the difference. One thing the auto-loaders do have going for them is slightly less recoil which may be an issue if you are putting alot of rounds through a gun in a single day but for big game such as deer,elk,bear, and moose the odds of having more then 3 shots in quick succession are slim.Like you I also prefer the wood stocks because of their beauty, somewho looking at a plastic or even laminated stock just doesnt do it for me.

Old 12-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

actually the largest 30 caliber is the remington 300 ultra mag., yes i agree, the fiber glass or plastic or what ever, wood is nice, i just hope they still will make the wood stocks for a while,

is it true that bolt actions are also lighter than semi-auto?

later

later

Old 12-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

“Actually” I see you don’t have a clue, so I’m not wasting any more time on this post.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

thats ur choice, but hm look at remington's site and it says right in the centerfire ammunition area that the rem. 300 ultra mag. alrighty.. go look

later

Old 12-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Among others, I have a 300 RUM and a 300 Wby, both in customized Rem 700 LH actions. My 300 RUM will throw a 180 grain Nosler at 3500 fps, that's 300 fps faster than the 300 Wby, 400 fps faster than a 300 Win Mag, and 700 fps faster than a 30-06. I have killed elk at 400 laser-measured yards, it's a lot further to shoot accurately than the magazines lead you to believe:-) One thing to consider when looking at bolt vs semi is the amount of crud it takes to turn your rifle into a club. It takes very tight tolerances to make a semi auto accurate and tight tolerances do not take well to mud, dust, sand, etc. I hunt with my rifles so they get wet, frozen, dropped, fallen on, etc., a synthetic stock will take much more abuse than a wood stock and not change the rifle's zero. When you are humping them up a mountain at 10,000 feet, it also helps that synthetic stocks are lighter:-)

Quick Reply: deer/elk/bear/moose rifles