What's the most miles you seen on an ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the most miles you seen on an ATV?

I just got an Arctic Cat ATV magazine in the mail and it has a guy from somewhere in the lower 48 who has 51,000+ miles on his 1998 (I think that is the year) Arctic Cat 400! He says it is more like 60,000+ because the spedo was broken for a year!!! Only thing he has done was standard maintenance like U-joints and such, last year it did have the upper engine rebult, but that is all.

How many miles are you guys seeing???

I just hit 164 last weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My youngest brother just bought a new Prairie 700 Friday and it now has 100miles on it. Its the first quad we have owned with a odometer. The rest of the bikes never had one.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

ive got a 03 Gas Gas Hp 300 with a speedo ive had it almost a year and have a little over 2000 miles allready and loving everyone of em. All most all dune riding to still runs like brand new!!

03 Hp 300
88 lt 500r
91 lt 250r "wifes"

Old 05-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an old dirtwheels and it has a Foreman with TONS of miles on it. I dont know exactly, but i'll try to find it and let you know

Old 05-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I question this article, and I have a hard time believing anything I read in Mags becuase most articals are far from the truth. Yes i can see a machine could have 51,000+ miles on a 1998 (I have put around 48,000km on my bikes since 1998) so I see where that is posible, but that would be alot of seat time and if an individual worked at the same time that's all he did was ride because that's all I do, and he put on almost twice my distance. I could see this also if you were staying on fireroad etc.... The real thing you need is an hour meter, which I don't think the 400 cat has. However there is no way he has only done standard maintenance and in a AC magazine I would believe it. I know people with AC with high miles, (10,000+km) and they are replacing things too ie batteries, speedos, wheel beerings, brake systems, carb problems etc.... I have alot of maintance on my Kawi too because I'm considered an avid Atver so I know when I call something normal/standard maintance other people say no it's not. Even a honda wouldn't last that long on standard maintance. For example I'm sure the frame on this bike had to be welded in it's life. Now this guy probably does his own maintance too so it's easy to forget what you've done to it... I know I'm in that boat at times. BTW what's the name and issue of the mag? And answering the question I seen a 91 Honda with 33,000km on it and I forget the hours it was like 2700 hours on a home made odo and hour meter. the next would be 24,000km on my 400 KVF 98.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Got Milk!

I am at work now, I will get that information tonight and post it tomorrow. It is a work machine on a farm and is driven between all the employees, not just one guy, and sometimes it runs almost all night.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to start one of those "Everyone should get an Arctic Cat cause the go 50k miles" threads, just saying how amazing that is. Like I said, I will being the mag to work tomrrow and give you all the info.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Farm quads are the ones that see the use. I wish the old Honda 300 came with an odometer, because we have a '98 model that could probably give you a run for your money.
We also have an '86 model Honda 200sx that has been on the farm since it rolled off the showroom floor. I can't even guess at the mileage it might have.

I think it's good that more new ATV's are coming with odometers.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Kawi650
Sorry I question this article, and I have a hard time believing anything I read in Mags becuase most articals are far from the truth. Yes i can see a machine could have 51,000+ miles on a 1998 (I have put around 48,000km on my bikes since 1998) so I see where that is posible, but that would be alot of seat time and if an individual worked at the same time that's all he did was ride because that's all I do, and he put on almost twice my distance. I could see this also if you were staying on fireroad etc.... The real thing you need is an hour meter, which I don't think the 400 cat has. However there is no way he has only done standard maintenance and in a AC magazine I would believe it. I know people with AC with high miles, (10,000+km) and they are replacing things too ie batteries, speedos, wheel beerings, brake systems, carb problems etc.... I have alot of maintance on my Kawi too because I'm considered an avid Atver so I know when I call something normal/standard maintance other people say no it's not. Even a honda wouldn't last that long on standard maintance. For example I'm sure the frame on this bike had to be welded in it's life. Now this guy probably does his own maintance too so it's easy to forget what you've done to it... I know I'm in that boat at times. BTW what's the name and issue of the mag? And answering the question I seen a 91 Honda with 33,000km on it and I forget the hours it was like 2700 hours on a home made odo and hour meter. the next would be 24,000km on my 400 KVF 98.
i can agree with that, i am not saying its true, im saying what it says. Im sure it is lying, after all, it is DirtWheels
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Got Milk!

Okay, I have the magazine with me at work, it is called "Ride". April 2004 edition. Your local Arctic Cat dealer should have one. Page 4 they are doing a question and answer with a guy called "Bubba Loftin" he has a ranch near De Ridder, LA.

Here are two of the quotes.

RIDE:Fifty-one thousand miles is incredible, Bubba. What tasks do you use the machine for?

LOFTIN: Actually, I estimate the mileage to be closer to 60,000 because the odometer has been broken for more then a year. It was used at a lumber mill for a couple years, running nearly 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Since then we've used in on our ranch to haul hay and feed, check on the cows and general transportation. We also use it for fun, to go mud'n.

RIDE:What kind of maintenance has it seen?

LOFTIN: Pretty much just oil changes and the occasional U-Joint replacement, all done by the local dealership. Last year we gave it a complete overhaul though, and it only needed a top-end rebuild on the motor.

It also showa a picture of the ATV (looks like it has seen its better days, bent racks and all!) and a picture of the odometer at 51,265. I don't think the editors would allow something like this to be published if it wasn't true. Like bigben was saying, I bet a lot of people have a ton of miles on the older quads, just too bad they didn't come with odometers!

Old 05-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

I had no idea Quads keept mile gauges. I ride a race bike and an odometer would add weight, something you dont want when racing.

Quick Reply: What's the most miles you seen on an ATV?