jumping problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-1999, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 300ex w/ fmf pipe, hi-compression piston, and cam. On good sized jumps, those that you can get 5-8 or 9 feet of air on, I seem to want to nose dive when I hit it in 4th gear. In 3rd gear I am fine and never nose dive. I either land nose up or about even. When I hit it in 4th though I always land nose down. My friend doesn't do this on his 300ex. He said when he was watching me it looked like I came off the jump fine but in mid-air I'm just slowly turning nose down. Please help me out because I love jumping and I can't figure out what is wrong!

------------------

Old 10-09-1999, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

while you are in the air keep the revs really high and the rear wheeels movin, also sit far back on the seat.

[This message has been edited by mudman (edited 10-09-1999).]

Old 10-10-1999, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speedy ex,
The mudman was correct, but to put it another way, I thing you're chopping the throttle when you're in fourth, causing the front end to drop. Try keeping more throttle on as you launch & if it begins to drop tug hard on the bars as you gas it. If the front end starts to climb too high a quick stab on the rear brake tends to bring it down. Unfortunately, all this takes more time on a quad than it does on a bike due to the weight.

THE AZ HARDPACKER,
calmiller@kachina.net

------------------
save your riding area! join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 10-10-1999).]

Old 10-10-1999, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

So ya'll are saying that I should be keeping the gas on in the air because what I have been doing is getting up speed in 4th, then letting off for a second, then as I approach the jump gas it but then let off the gas after that. Is that my problem?

------------------

Old 10-10-1999, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

Radical...you love to jump. I've never had a problem with jumping in any of my gears. My recommendation would be to keep the throttle steady, making sure you're not peaking out in your selected gear. Then as you approach the face of the jump,let off of the gas slightly, compressing the suspension as you hit the face of the jump. At this moment fully accelerate and keep your weight back. In the air, if your nose is too low, keep your revs up and your weight back. If your nose is too high release the throttle (make sure you land while accelerating though)and have your weight forward. Yes! you can tap the break but make sure you do not stall the motor!!!! or you will be sure to land hard! (ouch...) These techniques (if they make sense), work for me... Good Luck bro!

Trailshooter
'98 300EX