Orange Flags???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange Flags???????

How do all of you handle the orange flags that most riding places require? I have had to purchase way too many of these things. They are junk and do not hold up under extreme riding. I plan to get a whip antenna with the large spring at the base and figure out a way to attach a flag to it. I have to repair of replace my flag numerous times each day that I ride and they are charging $10 to $15 apiece for them. I'm thinking that I should be able to shorten the whip and hammer the end of it flat and weld a couple of eyes on it to be able to attach the flag. I would appreciate all of your input on this matter. Thanks

Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya, either you have to buy the 1/2 thick base ones to keep it halfway straight when you ride, but then it bends the crap out of stock grab bar tabs, or buy the 3/8" one , but it bends almost in half when ridden fast, so no one sees you coming anyway. Last trip to Silver Lake, I had to put a metal plate under the tab on my son's 300ex,it almost broke off, looked like crap, but it lasted for the rest of the trip. You must be faster than heck, I have tattered flags a little, but never ripped them up, I have even reused flags from year to year.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

No, I'm not fast lol. The shafts get broken being bent and from getting hit on low branches. I'm thinking that the old whip antennas that used to be used for CB's that had the big spring base might be the answer? I haven't had much problem tearing the flags off, just a couple so far but not from speed. lol

Old 02-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

We run flags all the time, everywhere we ride (not just in the dunes). Sure, they get broken now and then, but as they get shorter I just use them for woods riding, where a shorter one is needed anyway.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

I have to repair or replace mine 2-3 times a trip. It's extreme where I ride, and I venture off the beaten path as often as possible.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

are these only required out west and down south? I have never seen a flag in New England

Old 02-22-2009, 05:53 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

So far as I know, just the dune areas require flags, so you can be seen coming over a hill and such, I put a flag on my son"s LT80 when he was little, made the little quad a lot easier to see. But having one on all the time is not a bad idea, that orange flag gets a lot of attention,and is very easy to see a long way off, makes it safer in a high traffic area.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Everywhere I have ridden to date has required a flag. They are a pain in the rear when you are riding in heavy timber. They are a necessary evil though. And yes I am in the midwest.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cody700

I have to repair or replace mine 2-3 times a trip. It's extreme where I ride, and I venture off the beaten path as often as possible.</end quote></div>

Same here....and it's no big deal. You are either buying crappy flags, or doing something wrong!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

That is why I am asking you all how you handle or buy them. The ones that are available round here are 1/4" diameter and for all intents and purposes JUNK

Quick Reply: Orange Flags???????