What states have truely street legal quads? WI,MO,IN,KY,OR,OH how about you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 13 years ago you could plate your ATC . A neighbor had his plated here in Indiana . HE rode it every where . Then about 10 years ago they stopped plateing them . But if you had it plated and continued to do so it could still be plated . If you misseda year you were out of luck . HE stopped plateing it about 2-3 years ago . He said he got pulled over so much he never could get anywhere on time .

Old 01-28-2001, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

4wheelin...What did you have to do to get it plated? Did you have to take it to a test site to get it inspected? Do you have to carry streetbike insurance? What documents did you need to register it?
Thanks

Dave
RUNNVS1@PEOPLEPC.COM

Old 01-29-2001, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

I guess I wasn't clear enough. Here in Nebraska, if you abide by the rules I mentioned, it is OK to ride your ATV through town as long as there is no city ordinance against it, and you stay off any streets that are also state highways. You have to go a block over and paralell it to stay out of trouble.

Old 02-01-2001, 02:34 PM
Range Rover

All quads are now street legal in KY. The stipulation is you are supposed to be engaged in construction, agriculture, road repair or traveling from one job site to another.You must remain on one and two lane roads,you must have brake,tail and headlights ( no plates, insurance or helmets required). I have done a lot of road traveling and I usually tie a chain saw on the back rack to keep from being pulled over. The same laws governing the use of farm equipment (tractors)governs the use of quads.I have never been pulled over but if I was I would claim that I was enroute to a job on a farm. (they did not stipulate how far you could ride to get to a job)

Old 02-02-2001, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

I think riding qauds on blacktop is kinda dangerous!I have been riding since I was 5 (now 15)And I race mx so I pretty experinced.When I go down my road(which is blacktop)And get my 250r topped out is pretty squirly(sp?)I am ok on my blaster and 300ex but the 250r is to crazy.It will do about 75-80 mph with the 20 inch razr's on it and about 65-70 with the 18 inches holeshot mx's on it.

Old 02-03-2001, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

jeepin... It is highly unlikely that I would ever be able to license it for the highway even in a liberal state. Thus I would not have the opportunity to go over the posted limit of 55 around here. When I go from my house to the riding areas closest to me I ride on the neighborhood road briefly. I have never had a problem at posted speeds of any kind and have never had a problem making corners even when I was going faster than one might feel was appropriate. I am not concerned that the machines handling would be difficult, I just don't want to get arrested for going to the store. Are quads street legal in your stste?

Old 01-09-2016, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is it all of arizona or just part of arizona?

Old 01-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last post was 15 years ago and I don't recognize any of the names. It's an interesting topic but I don't think any of those guys are still here.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think a few states like Arizona and Indiana allow street legal in certain towns on secondary roads. Out in Colorado near the Piute Trail and in West Virginia near the Hatfield-McCoy system they are street legal in those towns. But I think you will never be able to make a quad fully street legal anywhere in the U.S. There will always be limitations to where you can go. Its an old topic yes but not much has changed in the last 15 years. Though back when this thread first started, utvs weren't that popular. It seems they are more accepted on city streets than atvs are.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a golf cart that was street legal in Michigan. It had a license plate just like a car and the guy drove it all over. I only ever saw the one and no street legal ATVs. There are some counties where you're allowed to ride ATVs on the shoulder of the road but you can only go 20 mph.

Quick Reply: What states have truely street legal quads? WI,MO,IN,KY,OR,OH how about you?