I got bad gas...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got bad gas...

Life got the best of me this year and to make a long story short my '11 Grizz 700 has a half tank of gas (w/ no stabilizer) and hasn't been started for around 9 or 10 months. I have apologized to it and promised this will never happen again, but in the meantime I'm faced with what to do to remedy the problem. Ideally I suppose I should get the tank off and drain the gas, replacing with non-EtOH gas (which thankfully I just found in my area).

Any advice on how to get this done (draining the tank) or how difficult it might be?

Old 08-13-2016, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

In years past I have had to do this on more than one occasion. times flies past and before you know it months have passed. However it is not a hard thing to do. First off siphon as much fuel from your tank as you can, then look at the carb or fuel connection and disconnect the fuel line where it goes into your efi or your carb whatever type you have. Open your fuel line and allow this to drain the rest of the tank. I normally spray some carb cleaner into the carb inlet so displace any residue that may be trapped in there. After tank is drained flush with a small amount of fresh fuel and allow that to drain. Reconnect the fuel fittings and fill tank with fresh fuel and you should be good to go. My wifes atv sat for 2 years without running so I drained the tank and it started right up. Just done allow the old fuel to flow into the carb/efi system, that is why the disconnect to flush before trying to start.
Let us know how things turn out.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks kymco that sounds like a solid procedure. Hopefully I'll be able to get on this in the next week or so...and can finally start riding again!

Old 08-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Another quick way to do this is with and air gun and shop rags.Stick a 1/2 or 3/4 drain hose in the tank,stuff rags around the opening and "gently" apply air to force it out the hose into a container. Can drain a tank in short time then you can use a grab it tool and shop rags to mop out the tank. We had to do that quite often on water contaminated water craft that held 8 gallons or more and starting doing the same on atvs.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

If it has a "Reserve" adjustment, put it on Reserve to get every drop. At least my Arctic Cat leaves 1.4 gallon or so if you just leave it in the On position. You might be able to dispose of the old gas at a local garage, if they have a waste oil furnace. 5 gallons of gas in 500 gallons of waste oil will burn ok. I used to have a "Clean Burn"

Old 08-13-2016, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Love that idea polaris tech. Either way I'm sure i'll be showering off after its all out but at least this way I'll have less work.

Hmmm yes that's a bit of a dilemma about disposing of the old gas. Maybe I'll put some stabil in it and mix it say a half gallon at a time per full tank into my Jeep. That sound risky maybe?

Old 08-13-2016, 10:34 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays
Love that idea polaris tech. Either way I'm sure i'll be showering off after its all out but at least this way I'll have less work.

Hmmm yes that's a bit of a dilemma about disposing of the old gas. Maybe I'll put some stabil in it and mix it say a half gallon at a time per full tank into my Jeep. That sound risky maybe?
I've used funky old gas mixed with a full tank of fresh gas in my truck and it didn't cause any problems. A half gallon at a time should be fine.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer

Right. Thanks jf