Need coolant advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need coolant advice

2011 Grizz 700 here and so far the only thing I've been told about replacing my coolant is that I should put the same color stuff back in that came out. But other than that nothing specific. A search through both the service or owner's manual gave no coolant info other than capacity. Here's a comparison of the old and the proposed new...

The stuff on the left, what's coming out, is a blue-green. I'm second owner and only put about 75 miles on the machine, so I have no idea how old this coolant is.

Stuff on the right is the new coolant the guy at the car shop suggested, and is more of a pure lighter translucent blue. It's Pentofrost NF, whatever that is. He said it's what's recommended for European, including BMWs. Here's the bottle...

So...
1) have I found the right coolant?
and
2) does this stuff need to be diluted? The bottle says it's 'full strength.'

Old 09-08-2016, 06:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was trying to find some info on that Pentofrost stuff myself. I think Engine Ice would have been a better choice, it claims to make your engine run cooler too https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Ice-TY...rds=engine+ice I'm sure this stuff is fine but it seems it was designed more as an automotive coolant, not necessarily an atv or motorcycle coolant.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the viewpoint greg. In the end I went with actual Engine Ice. Lots of suggestions for it as well as Prestone 50/50 and Xerex Asian. Prob can't go wrong with any of these.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think simply putting new coolant of any kind that is recommended for atv use is better than leaving old coolant in. The Engine Ice is a little more expensive but atv engines need all the help they can get. Especially if you ride in any mud. Its hard to keep the radiator from at least getting partially blocked on a long ride so having extra cooling capability is a good thing.