2-stroke or 4-stroke

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-stroke or 4-stroke

I've been looking to get my wife a 4 wheeler. I want to get her an automatic (variable transmision). Either 4 or 2x4 and preferable a utility bike that can do a little work. I have a suzuki lt230 that's plenty fast for me to ride but I want something for her that doesn't have to be to fast. My main question is if it will matter if it's a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I have a little bit of mechanical knowledge so I would like something that would be kinda easy to work on. Any suggestions or reasons why I should go either way?

Old 12-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd get a 4 stroke. How much money do you want to spend? There are plenty of auto 4x4 quads out there you can pick. Something in the 400-500cc range should have plenty of power for work and play. Most of those can be had for $3000 or less in good shape used, some considerably less. A Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4 would be a good choice. Honda Rancher 420 auto 4x4 is another good one. It can be either fully auto or can be switched to electric shift 5 speed mode with a flip of a switch which might make it more fun when you might be riding it. A Can-Am Outlander 400 4x4 would be good too. All of these quads are noticeably smaller and lighter than the bigger 4x4 quads too which would make them easier to handle and less intimidating to a new rider.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well...easy to work on it's the 2-stroke all the way, but reading your post and the intended user/function I'd definitely say 4-stroke for you...

Old 12-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a quad sport? I would go with another little four stroke along those lines for her, Honda recon(which would require shifting) or any of the smaller Japanese utilities really. Keep the oil changed and air filter clean and those run reliably for decades. All but Honda have smaller machines with cvt transmissions these days. Of course the north American brands all have models like this, but reliability may not be on quite the same level.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter86
You have a quad sport? I would go with another little four stroke along those lines for her, Honda recon(which would require shifting) or any of the smaller Japanese utilities really. Keep the oil changed and air filter clean and those run reliably for decades. All but Honda have smaller machines with cvt transmissions these days. Of course the north American brands all have models like this, but reliability may not be on quite the same level.
You can get the Recon with ES or electric shift. Its a semi-auto trans but instead of using your foot, you push buttons above the left handlebar to upshift and downshift. The Honda Rancher 350 also comes with ES and is a little bigger and more powerful but still manageable for a beginner.