Other Makes Kymco, Joyner, Kubota, Bobcat, Cub Cadet, John Deere, Huskvarna, Kazuma, etc

Kymco 300

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kymco 300

Anyone have or worked on a Kymco 300 mxu clutch ?
I have a 2012 kawasaki 300...Kymco 300 unit with kaw badge.
I want to get into the clutching on this as it has went soft on me from pulling a small trail drag.
I think its time for a cleaning and adjustment ..defection, but never been inside it yet and dont know what to expect.
Has anyone have any info on these ? I went to the Kymco site and asked but no reply..all scooter heads i suppose
Would like to know if there's any special tools and what not before tearing it down blind .

I have 2 (his/hers) and can tell night and day difference of the 2 so I know somethings up

thanks for any info

Old 11-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't that a CVT-type ATV? I had a couple of Kymco Mongoose 300s, and
they had CVT. I would love an MXU.

Have you checked the drive belt? There is also a centrifugal clutch in there,
but I have never had it apart. Definitely get a service manual.

Getting water in the CVT belt housing is a common issue, which will make
the quad's drive not work properly.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, answered my own question. The Kawasaki KVF300 Brute Force (formerly
the Prairie 300) does seem to have many Kymco parts. So, I wonder what
other companies besides Kawasaki and Arctic Cat use Kymco to make their
smaller quads.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Trailblazer

That was my next option as I want to check the valves too.
I was just hoping someone has been inside these and could give me a few pointers...maybe some pics . I know snowmobile clutching very well and know theses are on the same principle..but a little different .
My concern is it has the recoil on that side and dont know if i have to pull that separate from the cover or can I pull it all in one pc.

I have a feeling its full of weed debris as i have been breaking trails in weeds taller then me this past summer .
The problem is its not pulling hard in mid range and takes longer to climb to higher speeds on a long pull..and backshifting is not there like it was.
I think its gunked up and the wts are sticking ...and/ or deflection is off. As I go into a corner and try to power out it takes alot of gas and rpm to get it to pull hard ..like starting in 2nd gear..or fly into the corner faster and keep the rpms up to power out of it and hope it breaks lose to get it pitched around the turn.
On another note it seams to be running at a higher rpm when just running at a lower speed like 10mph putting along .

Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer

Hey need to ride I have a prairie 360 4x4..I was just inspecting my belt and I think the cvt is similar. On your 300 do you have the actuator that controls the engine braking? If you do this may cause too much braking. The other requirement is the deflection on the belt on my 360 at 13lbs the deflection is set to 22 to 27mm. The belt should also be at minimum width specs it may be related to deflection and yours may be excessive. The only way to adjust is by shims. You will need a special tool to loosen the pulleys and a clutch puller. Most of the tools you can Jerry rig. Look for the specific specs for your unit.