Other Makes Kymco, Joyner, Kubota, Bobcat, Cub Cadet, John Deere, Huskvarna, Kazuma, etc

new Kymco 450i

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default new Kymco 450i

Now that I am partially retired I wanted a work and play unit other than my 4x4 ATV. After 4 months of research, test rides, crawling up, under and over most of the UTV's I could find on the market, I chose a Kymco450i UTV. This is not a Chinese clone, it is in fact very well made, welds are superb, engine has a very good reputation and a good strong frame. It also has one of the best rides I have found in the side by side market, with very little vibration.
Some will literally rattle your teeth out but not this one. Only complaint I could find and now have to agree with is the shifter. It is notchy and hard to find the right spot. It has gotten better with use or mabey I am getting used to it. Kymco builds engines and drive trains for artic cat, Honda, Kawasaki, and many other popular atv's and utv's and have for years. They are the largest mfgr of motor powered sport vehicles in the world. Anyone interested in a UTV should really take a look at how far these have progressed.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Seeing more and more dealers carrying them now and do have a good reputation plus good on parts availability I've heard. Sort of like Hyosung. They supplied a lot of parts for Suzuki and their 650 engines sure resemble Suzukis Sv650,but are still carb not efi if I remember. They just haven't had the success with their street bikes that Kymco has had with their atvs. Good luck with the new ride.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at the 450i myself. I think I may have suggested someone look at it that was looking for less expensive utv. Its priced right at what the Polaris Ranger ETX and Honda Pioneer 500 is and has slightly more power than either of them. The only thing I would have preferred is that they made a 50" wide version of it. 56.7" is still smaller than most but would have a hard time fitting on atv trails.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Trail riding will probably be the least amount of time I spend on this machine unfortunately (LOL). I was looking for a smaller workhorse and something to have some fun with. I have had ATV's for a number of years without complaints however, at my age having to get them out and hook up the trailer to do chores and yard work is becoming a chore. This little UTV is a jump in and go without having to hook up and put back a trailer. I also have grandkids that want to ride along with me and the UTV is much easier. My wife has artificial hips so trail riding is out for her and the atv is not real comfortable for her, however the UTV seems to be OK, I guess not having to straddle it makes a difference. I do live out in the country on 5+ acres as all my neighbors do as well. We have our back 2 1/2 acres connected together for a small trail system to play on. I really think this 450i will fill the void nicely. Only time will determine the realiability, but there reputation over the past 5 years has been awesome when compared to other big name mfgrs. I do know that the FI is awesome in this cold weather, my other carb ATV's start well in the cold but this FI machine starts instantly with almost no cranking. I will attempt to keep everyone posted on my evaluation and look for others experience with this brand.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully it will prove to be reliable. Kymco has developed a pretty good reputation. I'm assuming a top speed of about 45 mph or so. I know that's probably not important for you but others might be curious, including myself. Most of your riding probably won't exceed 25 mph I'm guessing. Looks like it will be a great machine for what you want to do.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yes thanks, I hope I made the right decision. In my research I found no reliability issues over about 50 postings and reviews I could find. Also my research found that most trail systems that are within my driving distance do allow up to 60" wide with many having no width restriction. I test drove a couple of the "skinny" models and I could definitely tell the difference 6" makes on width, mine is not nearly as tippy feeling. Now to find a factory service manual, dealer has been no help there, probably don't want you doing your own service. If anyone out there knows where a factory service manual can be had please speak up....

Old 01-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

They don't offer a service manual to the public or is it too new a model for them to get one ?? Strange as we could order straight from Polaris if customers wanted a factory shop manual.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
They don't offer a service manual to the public or is it too new a model for them to get one ?? Strange as we could order straight from Polaris if customers wanted a factory shop manual.

According to the dealer.....manuals are being given to dealers only and customers have to download their own. Can't find a source to download this model yet. Some are using the excuse it is to new. I am trying to find a Kymco website that I may be able to order one. So far just advertising for there products.