Other Makes Kymco, Joyner, Kubota, Bobcat, Cub Cadet, John Deere, Huskvarna, Kazuma, etc

CDI box

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDI box

Hi there,

I bought a lexmoto venom 125cc motorbike which I believe is a chinese make, about 2 months ago. I have dismantled and built different chinese ATVs and this seems to be pretty much the same as any other chinese build of engine. I came off the bike about 2 weeks ago and smashed some stuff up but replaced all the broken parts and drove the bike around 12 miles (4-5 trips). Then one night last week after a 2 mile ride I left the ignition on for about 5 mins (engine not running). I went to hop back on and the thing was turning fine but not firing up. Found there was no spark. After looking further I found the CDI box actually melted. I asked the dealer I bought the bike of was it a thing that often went in them and he said he had never come across it. So I tested the loom and replaced the CDI box. I got perfect readings right across the loom, and when I had it running I recorded a test on the input voltage to make sure there were no spikes during running. The ONLY thing I could see wrong was the spark plug tip had only threads, the lead was clipped over the threads and the contact wasnt great. You could hear a difference in performance when you wiggled the plug lead about. Is it possible that this could burn out a CDI box when its running?? The ignition coil pack tested fine. Is it also possible that an intermittent bad earth could burn the CDI out? The engine is going fine now Ive replaced the CDI box but Im a bit concerned that I havent found any other faults in the loom or other components in case it happens again. If anyone knows anything or have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

(BTW ive never seen wiring as badly put together as in not sealed looms and loose contacts. Ive gone across everything and crimped all the terminals tighter, then selaing will be my nect job when i get time :-)

Thanks!