Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Cleaning Foam Air Filter with Soap and Water???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2000, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were going to using my method, it would using any other method, you will be able to see that the filter is quite clean. I have never experienced dirt in my air intake tract until using a K&N filter & one other incedent years ago with a foam filter that had deteriorated near the seam and tore off inside the air box.

I also usually coat the inside of my air intake with a little filter oil, when I remove the filter I take a white dustfree cloth (parents own a bodyshop, so they are readily available) and wipe the inside of the air intake to see if any dirt is passing and collecting in the oil.....

Old 09-01-2000, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

rottwolf-

I have been using my method as posted earlier with coleman latern fuel for two years and have had no problems with the glue or filter breaking down on my uni. If you talk to one of the major filter manufactures such as Uni they will tell you to use kerosene first to break down the oil because it is not as harsh as gas.

I just dont recommend standing around drinking a cold one and smoking with your riding buddies while doing this

Old 09-03-2000, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

GEE WIZ PEOPLE-NEVER EVER USE A HIGH FLASHPOINT SOLVENT ON A FILTER(GAS,KEROSINE,ETC)IT WILL EAT THE GLUE THAT BONDS THE FOAM TO THE SEALS AND IT DETERIATES THE FOAM AND DRIES OUT THE RUBBER.USE SOAP AND WATER OR A FOAM FILTER CLEANER-YOUR CLEANING OUT THE DIRT, NOT THE OIL SO SOAP WORKS FINE . LET IT DRY GOOD TOO

Old 09-13-2000, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry man but kerosene will not break down the glue in the filter. The owners manual on my bike says right in it to use kerosene to clean it up. Gas and coleman fuel may be a different story but kerosene is an excellent oil/grease solvent that can be used on many different things. It will however eat some plastics but that is not the issue here anyhow.

Old 09-13-2000, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

I have been doing it the same way to all of my ATV filters for years and have never had any type of problems.

I use foamy "Gunk" spray in a can. It cuts the grease immediately and leaves the filter perfectly clean, dry and in new condition. I then oil it up with filter oil and re-install.

No problems ever and it is very quick, easy and zero mess!

Old 09-14-2000, 01:45 AM
Range Rover

It says to wash the filter from the inside out!How can you do this on a Pro-Design foam filter?There is only a small opening and can you submerge the whole filter or don't it matter?

Old 09-20-2000, 03:50 PM
Range Rover

I have cleaned mine from the outside...I just make sure it's really clean, then once it's clean, I go from the inside out, and I spray oil on the inside and the outside. The soap hasn't really broken down the oil for me, but i havne't spent much time on it yet.

Later,

Jason

Old 09-24-2000, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

i usually use diesel, because of explosion possibilty with a gas, then just get some soap and water and work the soap real good in to the filter and then dry with a hair dryer or wait for drip dry, and reoil lightly if u put too much oil on it it will choke down for awhile. i use dish soap

Old 09-24-2000, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

Use a good filter cleaner from your local dealer. You simply spray it on, wait five minutes and rinse it off. No worries about the seams etc...and the filter is clean.

Old 09-25-2000, 12:37 AM
Range Rover

Well, the reason I asked the question was because it's like 6 bucks a filter to clean it if you use the filter cleaner. That's kinda steep to just clean it I thought. That's why I asked the question to begin with. I agree, the stuff works great!

Jason

Quick Reply: Cleaning Foam Air Filter with Soap and Water???