Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Cleaning Foam Air Filter with Soap and Water???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2000, 10:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here's another one. How do you clean your foam filter with soap and water? What kind of process? Do you let it soak at all?

Thanks,

Jason

Old 08-31-2000, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

My cleaning process is this-

1. Clean with Coleman latern fuel
2. Soak and wash in warm water and dish soap
3. Wash out in bucket of warm water
4. Rinse out in the wifes kitchen sink and let dry on counter top so it dont get dirty she always likes that!

Old 08-31-2000, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Try the No-toil filter cleaning kit. For about $20, you get filter oil, cleaner, and rim grease. The stuff works well. Right now, the kit comes with a rebate for a free air filter which is almost identical to a Twin Air.
Or, you could just use some Dawn dish soap and clean the filter 2-3 times.
ERIC

Old 08-31-2000, 12:02 PM
Range Rover

Where do you purchase that kit? I need to know "how" you get your filter good and clean with the soap and water? What are the steps you take?

Thanks,

Jason

Old 08-31-2000, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know where you could get the kit. Check with your local ATV shop, maybe they can get it. If not, look around in catalogs or other web sites. As far as a cleaning goes, I just massage the filter with warm water and a lot of Dawn dish soap. Rinse the filter off and wash it a couple more times until it is perfectly clean. Let it dry completely! Use some filter oil or any 2-stroke oil to oil the filter. Put the oil on your hand and massage it into the foam until the whole filter has a solid color(no light or dark spots). Ring out any access oil and be sure not to rip the filter at all. I never liked the idea of rim grease because if I put the hose clamp on too tight, the filter would slip off. With airbox support rings, I can crank my filter on nice and tight and still use grease to make a perfect seal.
ERIC

Old 08-31-2000, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

Jason,

You won't be able to clean the filter completely with just soap and water, unless you use No Toil. With regular soap (even dawn or other dishwashing liquids), you will have to break down the filter oil first with a petroleum product (kerosene or gas, but kerosene is safer). After that, you can use soap and water.

Old 09-01-2000, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

What is this "No Toil" Pam? Where can I get it or find out about it?

Thanks,

Jason

Old 09-01-2000, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

I've used Dawn and water for years, it only takes a couple of minutes and the filters look like they are brand new when finished. Just make sure not to wring the filter and not to be rough where the foam seams to the rubber ends.

I apply the Dawn directly to the filter, then dip it in water, then use a squishing motion and you will see the dirt and oil pumping out of the filter, dip it in the water a few times, continuing the squishing motion and soon it will look like new.

Old 09-01-2000, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Here is my method:

Step 1: Rinse filter with gas.
Step 2: Rinse filter with water.
Step 3: Wash filter with dish soap and water.
Step 4: Rinse filter with water.
Step 5: Allow filter to dry.
Step 6: Apply filter oil.

My way might take longer than others but to me, it seems like a good way to get the filter nice and clean.

Old 09-01-2000, 02:50 AM
Range Rover

You're not afraid of some of the dirt getting close into the inside of the filter and ultimately the carbs? Just a question.

Mike: I don't think I'm gonna use any form of fuel..I'm sure if it's flamable it can tear up the glue at some point and it only takes once. Thanks for the reply, though, I appreciate it.

Thanks all,

Jason

Quick Reply: Cleaning Foam Air Filter with Soap and Water???