Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Motor Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-1999, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do ya know when your motor is about to blow? What i'm asking is, does it smoke? What all does it do that tells you its gonna blow up?

------------------
Jeremy Cross

1993 Yamaha *turbo* t-wolf

Old 07-20-1999, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

My engine blowing experiences.
I recall:
Pinging noises when you open up the throttle.
Loud rapping noise. "Called piston slap"
Engine won't idle proplerly. Surges when you let off the gas after a high speed run.

P.S. You are not supposed to let it get that far! ;-)

phil

Old 07-20-1999, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

Well, for a few months when you open it up, the sound changes. It goes from normal winded out sound, to a different noise. Its sounds kinda like your ears are stopped up. Its hard to describe. It wont idle long, before it starts trying to die. It is pingin but it sounds like it is coming from the front end.

Anyways, i'm pretty sure my motor is about to go. I have a 93 timberwolf, should i replace it? How much might it cost?

------------------
Jeremy Cross

1993 Yamaha *turbo* t-wolf

Old 07-20-1999, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Have you done any mods to it? Have you checked your jetting lateley. Jetting shouldn't change unless you have an air leak or something. I would at least tear it down and have a look at it. Or, have a good mechanic do it for you. It sounds like it is time, I know you don't want to be stranded somewhere! Fourstrokes cost a bit more to rebuild, because you have more parts to inspect and/or replace. I am not sure what it will cost you to rebuild. I would plan on at least $200. More, a lot more, if you have a mechanic do it.

phil

[This message has been edited by philzie (edited 07-20-1999).]

Old 07-22-1999, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeremy, my recommendation: First, get a shop manual for your quad, containing specifications and procedures you'll need (Clymer manuals are available from PowerSports Mall on the ATV Connection home page and other sources; factory manuals from your dealer).

Inspect and adjust the valves. Check the cam chain tensioner.

Inspect, clean, and adjust the carburetor; rebuild if necessary.

Obtain a compression gauge with appropriate spark plug thread adapter and run a compression check. If low, add oil through the spark plug hole and re-run your compression check. If compression rise appreciably, with oil, you probably need new rings and/or piston. If compression remains low, you need valve face and seat refinishing (I'd find a GOOD machine shop and bring them the head for this job) as a minimum.

With a hot, properly-timed spark and clean plug of the proper heat range, how does it run after you get it buttoned up now? Does it start easily, idle smoothly, and pull strongly throughout its rpm range? Does it smoke excessively, consume a lot of oil? Do you hear lots of loud, expensive noises when you run it?

The test and adjustment procedures I recommend aren't brain surgery; no mystery is attached, and you may cure some problems with them. If not, you've gone a long way toward diagnosing what ails your quad. Tell your mechanic what you've done and what you found out; you should save him some time and you some money if you need professional help. Further, you may present an image of a savvy owner who's not likely to buy the Brooklyn Bridge when asked to authorize repairs. Good luck!

Tree Farmer