Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Someone please help me

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone please help me

I have a 88 polaris trail boss 250 2 stroke that is not running. The bottom end is shot and needs rebuilt. I was going to rebuild it but I decided that if i could buy a newer motor and swap it in for about the same price then it would be better to just have a new motor in it. So I need to know what I would be able to swap in it. Im dont need anything crazy powerful just a newer and more reliable motor. Are there different ways that atv motors drive the wheels that my rear end wouldnt be able to mount up to? I just need some advice to get me going in the right direction, my quad has been down for too long and I miss riding it.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

89-99 Trail Boss 250s were basically the same over the years engine/electronics wise. Even used the same cdi and stators. Changed in 2000 with the new ignition system. Problem is even if you got a later engine it probably will need the same rebuild as the 88 you have now. Just might be simpler to rebuild the one you have. Anything later than a 99,you'd have to have the all the electronics and wiring harness from that model also.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

By electronics do you mean lights and everything of that nature or parts that actually run the motor. Because all I'm worried about is getting spark and having a kill switch wired up which I don't think is an issue. But you know more than me so what else an I not thinking about?

Old 11-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No, you may have to have the stator cdi, regulator and main harness if you get too far out of line with what you have now such as a 99 model 250 or newer. Possible that your ignition,etc could work,but I wouldn't take a chance on it as ignition timing specs did change on later models which is controlled by the stator/cdi. Plus the later style flywheel was changed along with the recoil housing.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wouldn't that all be in the motor though? I'm planning on swapping a full motor setup in a bare frame

Old 11-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Usually only the engine itself is offered minus any electronics unless specified by the seller that it may include such items as the stator,flywheel,cdi,regulator and the harness assembly. Again this can be tricky if you get too far "out of the box" so to speak and will have you seaching for additional electronics instead of being able to use the ones from your 88 model.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will not buy the motor unless all of those components are included it will be the whole set up, harness,engine,trans everything. I will take an entire set up and put it on a bare frame. So with that being said what would be the best motor to try and get that would work with the polaris frame set up and suspension. My only problem will be setting up the motor to drive the 4 wheeler. Ill be buying one that would be able to run without even being in the 4 wheeler .

Old 11-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can stay with the 250 engine or even a 300 2 stroke would work if you have everything for it as there wouldn't be hardly any motor mount modifications needed.Should be just a simple bolt in. Jumping up to a larger Polaris 4 stroke engine(325/330) would involve more work,but people have installed just about everything in atv frames..