Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

2015 Honda Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Honda Build

I have recently purchased the new 2015 Foreman Rubicon. I went with the base model to save me a little cash and thought there would be less problems. This is not my first honda but it is my first one purchased new from a dealer so I have been extremely particular with the care and maintenance. I want to build it to look good while getting me where I need to go without harm to the bike. The only thing done to it is 30" silverbacks and a led light bar.
My questions are:
To get parts for the motor can I just order 2014 Foreman 500 parts? I have been told by a friend they are the same motor and same parts/optimizers

Would a clutch kit or gear reduction be a better mod for me? Some places we ride are peanut butter mud. Didn't know if a clutch kit would bog back down or stay up after it gets going. Also don't know if clutch kits are too jumpy from an initial slow start. My girlfriend rides with me 90% of the time and I don't think she will like whiplash.

Has anyone heard, seen, or know how to make a hidden/steal snorkel for the NBS? Also Is there any extra waterproofing needed for the newer bikes? The areas that we ride are more mud than water. I do not plan on taking it to the handlebars but I would like just a little safety if I fall off in a bad spot.

What is the best performance upgrade? When it comes to all the new EFI stuff and new technology I have no clue what the best bang for the buck mod is. I know I don't like my exhaust really loud seeing how i will be using my wheeler year round for hunting also.

What size winch will I be needing? Seeing how my bike is a little on the heavier side (680lbs) I did not know if I needed to go ahead and beef up the system. And was wondering a good way to mount a switch without looking like a sore thumb.

What is a good way to coat the front bumper and racks? I normally keep something strapped on the racks like a stereo or ice chest. On my previous wheelers it always wears them down pretty fast. I wanted to do a rhino lining type coating. I didn't know if there was an easy DIY way that holds up and looks good or if I should just take them and get them done professionally

Where can I find LED replacement bulbs? I mounted a light bar with a switch and fuse but do not like the obvious different color between it and the headlights. I tried to find a bulb number in the manual and by searching but have had no luck.

Is after market skid plates and guards a needed add on? How do they help with getting through the sticky stuff? It seems like the factory covered almost the entire undercarriage but with plastic. Not to sure how it holds up. I plan on getting some front a-arm guards. Where could I find some specifically fitted ones.

I plan to build more than I ride. I like to do things right the first time and take my time working on my bikes. Never half way put something together.

Please help with your input and I will try to post pictures of all the changes.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 475cc Liquid has not changed so 2014 motor parts will work. With large 30" tires a gear reducer maybe a good option since at 28hp the Hondas are low on power for the 500cc utility class as it is.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Use Herculiner for your racks. It's a roll-on application that you can find at most auto parts stores. I got sick of applying polyurethane every couple years on wood boat seats. I applied Herculiner and they're still good after almost 10 years.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
The 475cc Liquid has not changed so 2014 motor parts will work. With large 30" tires a gear reducer maybe a good option since at 28hp the Hondas are low on power for the 500cc utility class as it is.
Would the 14% be enough? I've never had a gr before.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:15 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Rubiholic
Would the 14% be enough? I've never had a gr before.
Should be good here is a 2008 Foreman 500, 15% gear reduction, 29.5x10x12 Outlaws, ITP SS112 wheels.

But if your really in thick heavy goo and want to play with the 2nd and 3rd gear and speed will never be your concern then maybe a 23% might be in order.