Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Kawasaki Prarie 300 fouling plugs help!!!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki Prarie 300 fouling plugs help!!!

Hey guys i recently picked up my cousins quad for him to get it running again after it sat in storage for years. Ive replaced the battery, spark plug, fresh fuel, cleaned the carb over and over again and it is still fouling spark plugs like crazy! I will clean the plug and it will run for 10min then start sputtering out and die. Then i clean again and the same. Carb is fine, choke is not sticking, and everything is real clean all passage ways were cleared. The quad sat for years and it ran great when put away. Air filter is clean too. It has fresh oil and filter as well. I just wanted to rule all that out. Now, i have found out that the valves need adjusted. Intake is tight and exhaust is tight. Do i set the flywheel at the tdc to adjust the valves? Also, is oil supposed to be in the flywheel area? All my quads have not had oil in the flywheel area so im concerned...

Old 03-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I owned a praire 300 for 16 yrs and never had an issue with it. Now there are some things you need to check....just cleaning an old carb doesn't mean much, it needs a rebuild with new gaskets as the old ones probably don't seat anymore. You also need to do a compression check, if good then skip the rest... if low then add a teaspoon of motor oil into the cylinder, turn over a few times then check again. If still low then valves are an issue, if the compression comes up then rings/cylinder are an issue. Check your spark gap...nice blue spark..not yellow should jump at least a quarter inch gap.
If compression is good and spark is good then your carb is probably the issue. Get yourself a good rebuild kit, I used the "uni" kit in mine and noticed a performance improvement. Let us know what you find?

Old 03-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

You might check that it has the correct jets and the float is not set too high.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
I owned a praire 300 for 16 yrs and never had an issue with it. Now there are some things you need to check....just cleaning an old carb doesn't mean much, it needs a rebuild with new gaskets as the old ones probably don't seat anymore. You also need to do a compression check, if good then skip the rest... if low then add a teaspoon of motor oil into the cylinder, turn over a few times then check again. If still low then valves are an issue, if the compression comes up then rings/cylinder are an issue. Check your spark gap...nice blue spark..not yellow should jump at least a quarter inch gap.
If compression is good and spark is good then your carb is probably the issue. Get yourself a good rebuild kit, I used the "uni" kit in mine and noticed a performance improvement. Let us know what you find?
have a 2005 Kawasaki prairie 300 that I cannot find what the valve clearance or specs should be. IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE HELP