Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Suzuki Lt80 upgrades now problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Lt80 upgrades now problems?

Hey guys I wanted to make my son's Suzuki lt80 faster so I added a new exhaust and new sprockets and chain tensioner. It did make a big difference. But now it's too unstable it feels like with any turn it can flip. I need to get the front wider any suggestions?

Old 05-16-2016, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple options:

1) Cheap route - they make widening kits that bolt onto the wheel lugs...I think mine were 2.5" so that gives you 5" total...I'm sure they make other sizes as well. Like $20...

2) More expensive - there are a couple of manufacturers that make wider A-Arms...they may or may not require longer shocks. $400 at CT racing and you need to buy shocks...

3) Very expensive or need fabrication skills - upgrade to a double A-Arm setup...need to find suitable donor (I'm using a '86 LT250R front end), there was/is a 300EX kit out there , but most didn't care for it. I wanted a wider front end (but not too wide), more travel, disk brakes and replaceable ball joints...the early LT250Rs have all this and everything can be had for short money as most want the later year LTs (because they are much wider). This does add weight and the LT250R front end is heavy...but I think the pros outweigh the cons...as of now I'm in it for a bit more than option #2 and that's everything including 10" (4 bolt) wheels with new rubber, 11" shocks, new ball joints and caliper rebuild kits. Not a "for everyone" project, but I'm excited to see it come along...

Old 05-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking in to them options now.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is there a after market rear shock? I looked at works shocks but only found front.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Unfortunately I couldn't find a suitable direct replacement. The issue is length and the clevis style bottom as well as spring rates. There are just not a lot of 10.25" eye-to-eye shocks out there period...never mind one with a clevis...or any level of adjustability for a kid's quad.

Length is an issue because ya just can't slap a longer shock in there...at least not without some frame mods as the engine acts as the swing-arm and does not "drop-out" at all (hits the frame). I've read of folks notching the foot rests to get more drop-out as well as cutting & welding in tube where the spine runs vertical behind the engine. I've read of gains in the area of 1" to 1.25"...doesn't sound like much but that gain will open the door to many more shock options. Regardless, you still may find yourself having to swap the bottom eye for a clevis (cut & weld).

There is a Works rear for the LT80, but I've heard mixed reviews and it's not cheap...on there website they still list a part number for it, but at almost $500 I think there are better options. CT racing does sell an extension kit (longer bearing brackets) and a longer rear shock...they will set you back $165 & $390, respectively. The extension kit converts the bottom clevis to round, so I've heard of folks just getting the extension kit and finding a different shock to fit. The issue with the extension kit is that it may place more force on an already (relatively) fragile engine case...so you'd want to look into case supports (aluminum strips welded onto the case).

I did see one called a YES in the UK, but it gave no details. The real issue will be spring rates...these are kid quads and not pit bikes normally ridden by adults...so even if you do find a shock to fit make sure you know what you're buying.

I, because I'm a bit nutty, went down a different path. There is a fully adjustable, re-buildable 10.25 eye-to-eye shock, but it's not a direct fit. It's a Fox Float MXR and it's made for smaller riders (a true rarity!!!). It has round eyes both top & bottom, so I had to modify the bearing carrier and modify the carrier mounting brackets (Like the CT racing bracket, but stock length...I can post pics if you want). I found the shock for $290...and even if it cost you $100 for the fab work you'd still have a far superior rear suspension for less coin (IMHO).

Kinda long winded I know...sorry about that, but no real easy answers for these quads suspension wise.

Best,

Frank

Old 05-17-2016, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

No thanks you have answered a lot of questions for me. If you would post a pic that would be awesome. I would definitely like to see what u have done.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have ordered the lt80 to 300ex conversion kit. I had most of the parts needed anyway. Just need a set of tires and rims now. I will post some b4 and after pics when I completed it. Should be about 2 weeks

Old 05-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Here are the mods to the axel carrier and brackets...removal of the clevis support is required if staying stock length. I used a plasma cutter & grinder...5 min job (an additional bolt hole also needs to be drilled in the carrier). The bracket mod is a bit more challenging as bolt supports need to be welded on (after bolt holes are drilled)...this is all pre-powdercoat.

Attached Thumbnails Suzuki Lt80 upgrades now problems?-img_1922.jpg   Suzuki Lt80 upgrades now problems?-img_1923.jpg  
Old 05-19-2016, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey maybe you can answer this. I bought some new Reeds for it. Took the carb out then it had a 4 screw plate. Took that off and I could swear there is supposed to have a gasket there wasn't. Am I wrong is there a gasket supposed to be there if u know?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

On the back of the reed cage?

Quick Reply: Suzuki Lt80 upgrades now problems?