Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

250R vs. Tecate 4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2000, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets here every ones opinion on the 250R vs the little talked about Tecate 4. Why is it so hard to find aftermarket parts for the Tecate? I used to here things like the Tecate engines were prone to blowing up, or that the frames were weak and broke easily. Was the kawi. faster than the 250R? Why did we not here of the T4 on the MX tracks like the R and LT. Did the 250R handle better? OK Tecate 4 owners lets here from you or any one who knows about these mean green machines

Old 04-09-2000, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

MY 88T-4 runs great, starts in 1 kick, and has a top speed of about 80mph. My TRI-Z and friends 250R can`t touch it.Not to mention that it`s one of the most stylish 4 wheelers ever made! When I run into guys on trails most don`t know what it is. 12 years old and people think it`s some new model. Not a scratch, rip, crack, dent, tear or rust spot. To any T-4 owner who might read this- TAKE CARE OF THESE QUADS!!! THERE AREN`T MANY LEFT AND ARE THE MOST RARE PERFORMANCE 4WHEELERS MADE. HAVE PRIDE IN THIS MACHINE.

Old 04-09-2000, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

The T-4 was faster and more powerful than the TRX250R by a good bit. The reason you don't see them raced like the R is they don't handle as well and there isn't a slew of parts avalible for them.

Even though some preferred the T-4 over the R, the R was the choice of the majority. So parts makers produced more parts for them. Companies make what is in greater demand. Thus, the T-4 kind of phased out due to this.

Old 04-09-2000, 10:24 PM
BLH
Pro Rider

I know a guy that has a T4 for sale in up state NY. The slater is shattered and the crank bearings are toast. "he says" it ran great untill that. He's asking $1200. Now my question is, how much to have it repaired? Is it worth looking into. I have limited machanical knowldge, and know nothing about the T4, other than his looks great. Its in almost new looking condition.

Old 04-10-2000, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

1200? ahh no

Old 04-10-2000, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

A friend of mine right here in wolcott ct, Just traded a blaster for a 88tecate4 and I took it for a ride ,man that thing is fast ,I'll bet that it will kill a 250r in drag race ,but it lacks the good handling chassis that the R has and it feels real top heavy .

Old 04-10-2000, 01:41 PM
Range Rover

Just a minor note: there was no 89 Tecate 4.

Old 04-10-2000, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmmm...A freind of mine had/has? a tecate..... I like the flip up headlight.....

The machine was fast....he was too heavy for it though...and blew it up.... I wonder if he is the same person mentioned in the post above

Old 04-15-2000, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer

"THE TECATE WAS MURDED BY THE MAGAZINE" Just my opinion. I also feel the T4 was very advanced for it's time and was not well recived by the aftermarket co's. Kawi is known for not leaving much room for development this goes for quads and bikes except for the kz 900-1000 street bike. oh crap other bike getting side tracked. The t4 was also a wild and unruley bike to ride back inthe day hard hitting on the power band. due to the conent decree "GOVT crap" KAWI &HONDA pulled the plug on the sport four wheelers.For fear of major restrictions on all of their linesof atv's. The t4 has very good bottom end which makes it very quick for drag racing. as for the suspension what can i say your on the beast, MANHANDLE the old girl this Aint no bithday party for the kids ride it , deal with it or modify it . Ihave built another one recently and its a blast.For a 250 lbs dude that it is BTW I'm not a fat slob ,6ft3 and like to rumble. "challenge" thats rite smile
A Very popular aftermarket co told me you can shoot a dead horse so many times and the old tecate would still be dead./// If you specialize in t4's speak up. I have open arms and a check book. 87 tecate lots of homade mods&kx parts,1428cc dragbike ,z1 900,trx 70 ,eton90

Old 04-16-2000, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know much about tecate 4's i saw one and thought man them things look cool. any way I have s 86 trx 250r at the time of when I drag raced a tecate 4 I had a pretty fresh top end. I was still running the stock pipe. any way I drag raced a tecate 4 with a aftermarket pipe (not sure what kind) we raced about 6 times in chat (like sand) we both had normal tires I had my holeshot mx's he had some bandit's any way it was all up to who got the holeshot I out ran him many times but he out ran me many times to.

Quick Reply: 250R vs. Tecate 4