Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

axle removal problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle removal problem

I read as much as I could today about removing my axle so I am at the point where I am taking it out of the transmission but its jammed on there... can I change the cv inner boot with out taking it right off? I've been pulling for the last half an hour and it just wont come off

Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremyd
I read as much as I could today about removing my axle so I am at the point where I am taking it out of the transmission but its jammed on there... can I change the cv inner boot with out taking it right off? I've been pulling for the last half an hour and it just wont come off
If you have a little help ,the better it is on removal.First I would soak around the plunging joint with PB Blaster,plus heat around it if necessary. Make sure the upper a arm is out of the way and while you have someone holding the atv from moving (plus if he had a long pry bar behind joint would help) then you use short,rapid jerks on drive shaft. MAY take several attempts before shaft finally comes out. I've had some really tough ones,but eventually they will come out especially with the PB and heat. OPT

Old 05-29-2011, 05:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

use alot of penetrating lube. that little circlip on the shaft is a pain but it will come out. way easier taking the cv shaft out to work on it.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider

I hook a slide hammer with a small chain to them when their tough, acouple whacks and they come out

Old 05-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

the cv joint came apart on my 05 800, when trying to remove them from the rear diff.
so i pulled one right apart. welded a nut to the remaining peice and put the threaded slide hammer on it. mine were clicking so i replaced both axles.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtwostroke
the cv joint came apart on my 05 800, when trying to remove them from the rear diff.
so i pulled one right apart. welded a nut to the remaining peice and put the threaded slide hammer on it. mine were clicking so i replaced both axles.
Yeah,that was was the worst part when they brought em in for boots and the drive shafts were already shot! After pulling a couple apart and having a 3 or even a 2 legged "dog" to move around the shop until we got new ones in,I stared telling them right off on the click clacking worn out ones, CAN"T guarantee a new boot would help and more than likely I would pull the damn thing apart doing so! Some I could convince to just go ahead and order the drive shafts,some had to see for themselves! POINT is always check your boots often,replace before any damage can happen AND when they are just plain worn out,Just go ahead and bite the bullet! OPT

Old 05-31-2011, 06:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Its crazy that Polaris does note put "Never Seize" on the spine at the factory,there work manual tells you to put it on, but they do not!