Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

No SPARK on my 04 predator

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No SPARK on my 04 predator

i posted on here about a month ago that my predator was running then just stoppped dead wouldnt turn over andf there was a clicking sound for the 20amp switch/fuse? well my best guess after messing with everything. i pulled apart as far as it would stretch the emergency tether. it then would turn the engine but now the damn thing isnt putting any spark to the plug. i dont understand thats system anyway there is a wire that splits off the coil one comes in from the cdi box and the other goes out to that tether system that the other side of it goes to a ground does the coil act kinda like a magneto? or does the techer when pulled out short out the coil stopping a spark to the plug? i cut the wire coming off the coil to the tether to see if that would get me spark and it didnt. im considering hooking that wire back together but grounding it bypassing the tether. btw i have swapped cdi with a friend both work changed the coil and wire and plug. it has to be in this tether thing?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

could it maybe be the MAGNETIC SWITCH im not 100% what it does the 2 little wires that come off of it?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Try by passing the tether and see if you have spark,if not,remove the black wire from the cdi and check for spark.If has spark could be in the ignition cutoff or switch or a ground problem. Also the tethers are a nuisance anyway and best left on the youth models! The wires on the magnetic switch(solenoid) powers it up from the ignition switch and transfers the voltage to the starter side of the switch(solenoid) when cranking. OPT

Old 09-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

i bypassed the tether took it all the way off. still no spark but when i cut the black wire to the cdi we got spark!!!! now the only question is why? what does the black wire do and can i just runb it that way?

Old 09-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You either have a short in the left handle bar kill switch or the cdi black wire can be the problem! Trace from the black wire up into the left control switch harness and see if there is a direct short in the harness or inside the control switch itself. If all is ok,then the cdi could be the problem and the black wire(kill wire) could be shorted out inside the cdi itself when connected(but sounds like a direct short past the cdi wire grounding out). Have had this happen on other Polaris atvs OPT

Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

ty old polaris tech you have been a god send i trace it and there seems to be a short behind the front plastic. i took it off found what i think is the problem and rehooked up the black wire and it fired up. ty ty ty for all your help

Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad you found it,was just about to pull what little hair I have left on this one! OPT