Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

07 sp 800 x2

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 sp 800 x2

This bike has been problem free so far. However, I am noticing something developing from the front portion of the bike. When I'm driving along and rapidly slow down, there is a heavy vibration/light grinding that I can feel, but not hear coming from the front end. It's almost like a cell phone vibrating under my shoe. Mostly on the right footwell, sometimes it's more pronounced when turning right. I mostly notice it when I'm slowing down at speeds over 20 mph.

I've checked for knobbies rubbing and any contact the rims or rotor could be making, I can't see any. It may be more prevelant with the AWD/ADC switch is on, but not exclusively. Any thoughts where this light grinding might be coming from?

Old 06-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

Moderator, can you bump this to the Polaris ask an expert section, where I meant to post it? Thanks!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check for any excess play in the prop shaft u-joints going from the transmission to the front gear case. Just grab the shaft and see if you can move it back and forth.(a little play is normal,but not a lot) Could be the source of the vibration and time to replace them,especially if you missed the grease fittings like a lot of people do. Plus have you kept the front gear case fluid changed regularly. OPT

Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Range Rover

I change fluids and grease regularly. However, the only zerk that I have found on the drivetrain is the one on the sliding rear shaft. If there is one up front that I have never located, that would explain it all.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Should be a grease zerk on each of the cross kits (u-joints) unless they are sealed on the X2?. Just jack up the rear end,turn the rear tire slowly and you will see the grease zerks as the prop shaft turns. I always had to grease the front u-joint zerk from the bottom and the rear parallel from the right side. Helps to have a flex hose on a grease gun. OPT

Old 06-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, it may be sealed. What could be going on with the front end that might be causing this?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it's not a u-joint problem some members have had problems on the ADC if the fluid isn't changed regularly,plus you can check all posts on this with a search. OPT

Old 06-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by davidaz
Thanks, it may be sealed. What could be going on with the front end that might be causing this?
Have you found your problem yet? You are correct, there is only one zerk on the shaft. It really sounds like dirty fluids in your demand drive. It sometimes takes a couple of changes to clean it up in there. When you come to a stop in the ADC mode, does it release, or do you have to switch it off? If you switch it off and you can feel and hear it release, then flushing the diff. good should clear up the problem.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Range Rover

I brought it back from the mountains to change the fluid.

However, while waaaaaay back in the middle of nowhere on a ride today, I stopped to wait for my son who was trailing me. When I went to restart it, it acted as though it was flooded, barely running and stalling when I pressed the accelerator. The trail was narrow and steep and we couldn't pull it off the trail. So I spent 30 minutes winching it up and off the trail. Of course after all that, when I tried to start it, it fired up and ran rich, but otherwise fine all the way back to the trailer. T-Bap harness?

That was a close one, but I technically have never broken down with that bike.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

T bap harness or connector problems were the most common problem when they idled rich,erratic idle and backfiring,then once off idle they would run better. OPT