Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1996 Polaris Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Polaris Magnum

I am working on a 1996 Polaris Magnum 2X4. The machine sat for several years and a friend asked if I could get it running. I did and sent it back to the owner. The owners son was riding it when all of a sudden it wouldnt go anymore so they brought it back. When not in gear, the engine runs fine. When it is put into gear, the engine bogs down slighty and it will not engage completely. I pulled the gearcase/tranny out and checked all of the shifters and bearings and everything is good working order so I put it all back together filled it with oil and it is still boggin down when you put it in gear. Any suggestions? Thanks. Andy

Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you tried to adjust the rod ends on the linkage assembly to where it might shift better? Have it in neutral,loosen the rod end lock nuts and turn the adjuster ends to where they drop straight into the shift rod levers with no resistance.You can check for a lot of slack in the shift box lever with both linkage arms off. These shift boxes were a pain when they started getting slack in the shift lever and shift box levers and sometimes would lock in one gear and stick. If this turns out to be the problem,cheaper to replace the shift box rather than replace all the worn parts. Plus did you check the clutches out? Especially the rear clutch ramp buttons and helix for wear and possible broken spring? Have had them bog down before because of this. Don't know if this might help. Plus if you might think it may be electrically related you can pull the black wire from the reverse limiter from the circuit board on the left side under the tank cover.The limiter can short out in forward also and start limiting rpm and bog down. OPT