Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris 200 not charging

Old 06-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 200 not charging

Hi, newbie here.....I have a 2005 Polaris Phoenix that is not charging the battery. I get about 12.5 volts at the battery (after charging it) whether it is running or not. I then tried checking resistance at the plug coming from the stator. I checked each of the three yellow wires to the black ground wire with the machine off and it had resistance at one yellow wire, but the other 2 were showing open. I am now assuming that the stator is bad. How do I go about removing and replacing? At this point I have just disconnected the headlight and tail light bulbs and think I will kick start it to keep the battery high enough that it will run OK. Thanks....

Old 06-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to replace the box (cdi I think) can't remember the name now under the front panel behind the headlight. It about 3X3 or so and it has fins on it. If you pull the two mounting bolts and unplug it you can smell the back of it (it's a hard plastic) if it smells sweet or burned that your problem. I had to replace two of them. Oh yea it's the regulator. Hope this helps.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Look here under "electrical parts" for your phoenix. http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp
Usually the regulator rectifier like twister 500 said is the most common problem I had with them. Located right behind the cdi module. Had to replace a couple myself. OPT

Old 06-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Should I be getting voltage from the three yellow wires with the engine running. I checked each of the three yellow wires for DC volts against ground. I don't see any voltage...am I checking it correctly? Does the stator also generate spark? Thanks.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just check resistance from each yellow wire to ground and each yellow to each other. Not always accurate, but if any yellow zeros out the regulator is bad! Don't have the dc specs but try here to see if you can get a manual if you want one. PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket.
OPT

Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just smelled it. If you remember what a bad light ballast smells like or the hard plastics is melted you found the cause.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tested yellow to yellow, and yellow to ground, and got readings on each check.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You should get resistance readings reading from yellow to each yellow and if any yellow wire shorts out to ground it's a dead giveaway!(You may or may not have a yellow zero out to ground!) Resistance readings like I said is not always fool proof,but it's one way to check. The part is about $87 at Cycle Parts Warehouse and 9 out of 10 times the regulator is the problem unless you have had the battery load tested and confirmed it's the problem,not the charging. You may have both, a bad battery and reg/rectifier if it's sucked the life out of the battery!Plus you should have one wire that has 12 volts going into the reg/rectifier from the stator (I think it's a RED wire like all other Polaris reg/rectifiers) and if the reg/rectifier is not charging back to the battery then this is another way to tell it's bad! OPT

Old 06-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

There are 3 yellow, one blue, and one green wire coming from the stator to a connector by the air filter. At the connector that goes into the rectifier, there are 3 yellow, and a black and a red. The red is hot from the battery and the black wire is ground.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by shafferl
There are 3 yellow, one blue, and one green wire coming from the stator to a connector by the air filter. At the connector that goes into the rectifier, there are 3 yellow, and a black and a red. The red is hot from the battery and the black wire is ground.
Sorry,yes the red wire in the stator harness will be battery voltage. This is just another test on the regulator to show that power is coming into it. Only test left is the alternator output test and not sure on the 200 but the little Sportsman 90 made by Eton or Aeon? ( but the same manufacturer as the Phoenix ) and the 330 and 500 Polaris engines showed that AC amperage between the yellow and yellow/red stator wires was a minimum 5 amps at idle. You can never can rule out anything on electrical but in almost 23 years I only had one RUNNING atv that the stator charge coil was the problem on charging and that was a Trail Boss 330. Don't know if this helps. If not, hit LynnEdwards up in the Chinese forum and he should be able to go a little deeper on the Korean electronics. My bets still on bad reg/rectifier Good luck OPT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Polaris 200 not charging