Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris 400 4WD not working

Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 400 4WD not working

I was plowing snow In my Polaris Xplorer 400 I switched to 2 wheel drive to do some donuts I saw some smoke coming from my front headlight pod I thought my headlight bulb blew but it didn't. I took the pod off and nothing seemed burnt. Now my 4wd and my reverse speed limiter won't work. Also I was using a battery that wouldn't hold a charge. Can someone please help me? Thanks, He bus.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you already had battery problems(not holding a charge because of age or a regulator/rectifier problem) it's possible you had a surge that could have burnt up the reverse limiter module.Voltage has to go somewhere if the battery wont take it! Remove the limiter along with the regulator and check the back side for any melted spots. Limiter is not that important to replace,you really can just remove it and have full power in reverse at all times without having to push the over ride button. Have the battery load tested,replace if needed,then see if it's charging 14-14.5 volts back to the battery while running. If not, it's usually a reg/rectifier problem.Plus they can over charge which could cause a surge also. Here's a link to cheap replacements if needed. Polaris ATV Rectifier Regulator
Plus check the thin awd wiring and connectors under the front panel that go to the struts.Plus you have to have 12 volts for the awd to even work. OPT

Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 not working

Thanks for info opt....I haven't had s chance to work on it yet....If the limiter is blow in and I disconnect it should my awd work again

Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hebbus
Thanks for info opt....I haven't had s chance to work on it yet....If the limiter is blow in and I disconnect it should my awd work again
If you have a good battery(12 volts) and you didn't tear something up in the front wheel drive Just disconnect the black wire on the limiter,you really don't have to remove it. Plus don't forget to check out the charging system. OPT