Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2007 sportsman 500 EFI no power

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 sportsman 500 EFI no power

I have a 2007 Sportsman 500 that has power at the battery but nothing at the panel. No lights, no winch, no fuel pump tick and obviously won't start.

My electrician buddy jumped the wires at the starter and she cranks but thats all.

I am semi mechanical/handy but know nothing about these machines. I have read about stators and other such items but have no clue where they are or what they do. I have torn down mini bike and lawn mower motors and understand their operation but beyond points and condensors I am somewhat lost.

Any tips or leads to troubleshooting manuals or videos or suggestions would be great. Remember to keep it simple as I don't speak Polaris. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Possibly could be the ecm module as long as the battery is good as you say and the connections are tight. I have had to replace these as there are internal circuit breakers along with it's purpose of charging the battery and fan operation. I'll see if there are any checks on this if I have a pdf manual on this model. Item #11 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Pull the connector and clean the contacts and squirt in a little dielectric grease and see if you get power.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll try that. Would leaving the unit on a battery charger possibly do that? I did notice that when I removed the regular battery charger and hooked up my trickle charger, that the instrument cluster lit up for a brief second but then went dark again.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you could have an intermittent short when you have brief power to the instruments. Could still be the control module is faulty as it does contain circuit breakers,but I would still start at the basics! Either have the battery load tested or replace with a new one and see if you have power.If not then you need to start at the wiring and connectors to eliminate any shorts/bare wires,etc. It's just a process of elimination. Kind of a coincidence as to what just happened to me today. Turned on the kitchen light,it flashed once,turned the switch off and on,NO light. I just replaced all the breakers in the panel box 6 months ago,but checked to see if the breaker was tripping.It wasn't and had power.) Pulled the kitchen switch out,checked that it had power to the switch(yes, 120 volts) narrowed it down to the 31 year old single pole switch had shorted out. Replaced it for $1.50 and all's well in the world for me right now Same thing you have to do on dc voltage,just start at the battery,connections,all the way up to the control module. Check that the speedo connector has at least one hot wire(memory) and that the ignition switch itself has power to one wire with the switch off. Check that there is power at the ecm harness. If there is and no power at the ignition switch or speedo harness,then it's probably a faulty ecm module,if you've eliminated any harness ground or short problem.