Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change

ok i got this 1993 polaris 250 2 cycle 4x4. i got it a a auction and i have had fun so far with it, now i would like to check and change the oil it is a two stroke and dont have a clue how i have never had a two stroke anything and also would like to know if anybody knows how to get a copy of a owners manuel

Old 11-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Only oil you change is the transmission and front hub fluid.Here's a pdf service manual that you show you how. Best to use Polaris AGL in the transmission or oil suitable for chain driven gear cases. No motor oil or 80/90 diff oil! Use Polaris Demand Drive hub fluid in the front hubs although this manual may still say use type F. http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...e%20Manual.pdf

Old 10-31-2014, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT, will Bel-Ray primary chaincase oil work?

Looking at the spec sheets of alot of lubes; AGL is thin, 75w-90 gear oil is thicker (which is recommended by Motul (polaris dealer sells this)), chain oil is in the middle (Amsoil and Bel-Ray) as well as 10w-30 motor oil. Why not use a good synthetic motor oil in tranny? After all, polaris CVTs are just hypoid gears with an external belt.

Appreciate your opinion.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

CVTs are not just hypoid gears like rear diffs.Best to use a suitable oil designed for chain driven gear cases.A lot of different opinions on this over the years. Some have used motor oil,but plain 75-80,75-90 is way too thick for chain driven gear cases. It's fine for rear diffs with ring and pinion gears as this is what it's designed for.Use AGL or equivalent oil designed for chain driven gear cases.AMSOIL Synthetic Chaincase & Gear Oil

Old 10-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you.
This cvt is, pretty basic. same as 20 yrs ago which called for 30wt motor oil.

Just wondering for the differences, cuz when I asked the dealer, couldn't give me an answer and don't want to be forced to purchase Polaris product (something I should have looked into before buyng ATV). AGL (8 cSt) is like ATF, seems too thin. Chaincase viscosity is 10.5 cSt, similar to an 80w gear oil or a 10w-30 motor oil.
I think I will just go with a chaincase oil from Belray.

Thanks again.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Belray is designed for the big twin trannys,but probably ok to use. Problem is most people think that the oil has to be thicker to work better,but it doesn't. If it's too thick the oil can't splash around enough to oil all the gears and chain properly,plus shifting can be a little stiff when cold. I've see a few discolored/burnt chains over the years from using too thick of an oil,but the choice is yours on this.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Amsoil is pricey, have access to BelRay. But the densities of both oils are on par with each other. If thinned is required to splash, then why recommend Amsoil chaincase lube, it is thicker.

Just trying to make sense of all.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If they're both similar,then no harm no foul.. Not trying to start another oil war,plenty of them are on every forum.. This is just the basic description from Amsoil that does make a lot of sense as far as what types oil to use in chain type gear cases. I'm sure Polaris has a similar fact sheet for their Agl fluid. Again some people swear by 30 wt motor oil,others have used atf,etc.
"To reduce initial costs, some enthusiasts use automatic transmission fluid or gear lube in their snowmobile and ATV chaincases and gearcases. Neither fluid, however, is engineered for these applications. Automatic transmission fluid is a hydraulic fluid formulated without the extreme-pressure additives needed to provide enhanced wear protection, leaving gears and chains vulnerable to premature failure. Automotive gear lube is designed to lubricate hypoid gears and is too thick for proper chain and gear lubrication in powersports applications, impairing circulation and leading to wear and decreased energy efficiency."