Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2005 sportsman 90 cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 sportsman 90 cutting out

After riding for about 30-45 minutes my sons 90 started cutting out just above idle. idle no problem but give it gas and it cuts out. we were riding in tall grass, no mud or water. the stator was not caked up with anything. still leaning toward cdi or new stator? first part of the ride we had no problems at all.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
I'd give the carb a good cleaning to eliminate that aspect.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

On top of what LT80 mentioned take the plastic stator cover off and blow out any dust around the flywheel and pick up coil. Better if you can take the flywheel off and clean it and the stator up.Found plenty of them coated with dirt. These early Polaris 2 strokes were notorious for stators over heating/shorting out even with out mud or water involved. Just not a good design on covers being able to cool the stator area and seal them off from the elements at the same time.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

would a replacement stator remove the problem of overheating? factory or aftermarket?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't just swap out parts until you test them.From some of the reports a lot of cheap Chinese aftermarket 30 buck stators have given some customers problems. I'd stay with oem or Ricky stator if the stator resistance specs shows weak.Worth 5 bucks for a service manual to help you find the problem if it's not a carb problem or fuel related.Plus can help on future service /repair problems or questions.2005 Polaris Sportsman 90 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 09-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

You didn't mention anything about overheating.
have you cleaned the carb yet?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Haven't cleaned carb. It is new with new fuel filter, fresh premix gas (non ethanol) 50:1. Deleted oil injection. Don't think it overheated. Will start up but not rev up much over idle.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Haven't cleaned the stator yet. I need a puller. I do have the service manual just haven't tested the stator yet

Old 09-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

IMO, there is no reason to go further untill you clean the carb and eliminate that aspect.
New carb means nothing. Filter either seeins that the dirt usually comes in the vent.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Charles Clint Hammock
Haven't cleaned carb. It is new with new fuel filter, fresh premix gas (non ethanol) 50:1. Deleted oil injection. Don't think it overheated. Will start up but not rev up much over idle.
Just do as LT80 suggested and clean the carb or a carb kit first(since it does at least idle) along with checking/changing the plug,cleaning the air filter,etc! Eliminate the obvious/easiest first and if cleaning the carb and checking that it's getting a good fuel supply doesn't help with the problem,THEN move on to the next thing to check off the list.It's just a process of elimination. I just give all areas that can be problems from what I've experienced with these little ones,but don't let a lot of different thoughts over whelm you. Like they say,Rome wasn't built in a day..

Quick Reply: 2005 sportsman 90 cutting out