Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Left front caliper needs to be rebuilt?

Old 09-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left front caliper needs to be rebuilt?

My left front caliper was locked up the other day. I noticed it when backing out f the garage. When I pumped the brakes and went forward it released. I have had problems with it before pulling left and squealing when the brakes are applied.

I have cleaned the pads and caliper numerous times and greased the slides. The small allen head plug that keeps the pads from falling off is correctly adjusted.

With the pads off I can slowly pump the brake and see the caliper push out and slightly retract when brake is released. I have tried putting the anti squeal on the inside of the pads with limited success, but it just returns.

Could it just be the pads themselves? They have lots of life left in them. This started after going though a large amount of water and mud.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Usually caliper piston sticking because of dirt/corrosion or seals worn. If you've greased the slides and the pads are good,I'd replace either the piston kit or at least new seals if you can clean up the piston.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 09-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, figured I would need to rebuild the caliper. Might as well do them both.

Mike