Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

300 4x4 barn find oil pump Drive stuck

Old 09-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300 4x4 barn find oil pump Drive stuck

Hey OPT getting a 1994 300 4x4 ready to find itself a new home and can't seem to get the oil pump shaft out to upgrade it to the metal unit. How in the heck do you get the dam thing out of the block. Every thing about this project is not easy. Its hard to believe this wheeler has less than 50 hrs on it, the tires still have the little nubs and just because they cheaped out on a stupid part I have to tear the whole thing apart. any ideas?

Patrick

Old 09-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you're able to get the oil pump bushing out,you may be able to get it out.If it's melted it can be tough to get this plastic drive gear out. Bad as it may sound,I've actually had to rip a couple engines out of the frame and split the cases and drive it out from the back side and clean the melted plastic off the pump worm drive gear on the crank.Wasn't a happy camper when I found my first one like this and let a couple Polaris engineers know about it.They went cheap(or rather Fuji did) on the plastic drive gears on the first few 300 engines, but went right back to the old faithful metal drives pretty quick. Especially being at the rear of the engine right up against the transmission,kinda hard to get any good leverage on the shaft tip since it's recessed in the hole. If this is your problem you may still have to pull the engine out enough to get any kind of grip on the shaft tip.Hopefully you wont have to split the cases. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 09-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh she's completely apart engine is on the workbench. Melted that does not sound good at all, kinda looks cooked and the stub broke right off in the pliers. I cant get the bushing to budge I really don't want to split the cases. maybe Ill put a little heat to the case enough to expand it some hope that works. wish me luck.

Patrick

Old 09-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Shoot a little PB Blaster and let it seep then heat the case around the bushing a little.Even a good pair of snap ring pliers can put help put pressure on the inside of the bushing to where you can wiggle it around and up enough to grab it with pliers.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea. little heat till it started to ooze some, then grabbed it with a pair of inside pliers, and she wiggled her way out. But get this the gear looks like it seized in the bushing and sheared off three teeth I think I'll order a new bushing with the rest of what I need.

I hate working on these things but this used to be my father in laws cabin toy. Used it total of 45min a year to help put in and pull out the dock. he sold the cabin and I took the wheeler to go through and try to get the right price for it considering the thing is really like new. I have been surfing this sight for information and have enjoyed your insight on these things. Thanks I think I'll stick around for a while.

I'll post up some pics when she is all clean and put back together.

Patrick