Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 Polaris Srcambler 400 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001 Polaris Srcambler 400 wont start-spring.jpg

At the risk of sounding like and idiot..... Do you have any idea where this spring may have come from? I took the side cover off and was looking around. I saw this sitting under the polaris. I have no idea if it came out of it when I removed the cover or if it was a coincidence that it was under it

Old 10-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You aint an idiot because the only one close to that size I can think of off hand is used on the carb idle screw,plus too large for the choke spring. Items 10 and 8. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse OR the detent spring behind the plug on the gear case. #22.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If not any of these,then possible that was it was accidentally dropped there by previous owner. I've found a lot of crap under engines that didn't belong. Sure looks clean..

Old 10-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Trailblazer

Im thinking its like you said. Just a random thing that was on the skid plate. I got the side removed and it was full of antifreeze and oil. The shaft is a little worn so I am going to order that as well. Time to wait on parts... again

Old 10-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

Is there a good way to remove the counter balance shaft without the special puller the manual says you need to buy? Its also saying you need to heat it with a small torch for installation. I have a machinist friend who can repair the worn shaft if I can get it removed cause a new one is outrageous

Old 10-26-2014, 03:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Might be worth the trip to load it up and let your machinist friend see if he has a tool that can pull it. This is a hard tool to find cheap and yes you need to heat up the case around the bottom of the counter balancer so it's easier to pop out with the puller. They're too expensive for a one time use.https://polaris.service-solutions.co...px?id=56&cat=1 Plus also in a lot of instances you need to have the big bearing replaced behind the gear if antifreeze has damaged it.Available on ebay or possibly through a local bearing house/automotive parts house. http://www.ebay.com/itm/polaris-counter-balancer-balance-shaft-400l-350l-scrambler-bearing-16006c3-400-/371161885190?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item566af8ea06&vxp=mtr

Old 10-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

Just wanted to share how I got the conterbalance shaft out if anyone else is in the same boat I am......... I had a small slide hammer that came with an old dent puller I purchased from the local harbor freight years ago. I drilled and taped an adapter to match the threads on the slide hammer on one side and taped the 6mm to fit the water pump shaft on the other side. Using a small torch I heated the case like OPT said to do. About 5 firm slides with the hammer and there is was!!! Just be careful to keep the taps straight when making your adapter and also keep the slide hammer straight during removal. The 6mm shaft probably will bend easily if you get all crooked on it.

My machinist buddy is on vacation this week, so its looking like another week down. But hey, not a bad price to pay for a repaired counterbalance shaft for free!!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

One way to do it.. Yes you have to be careful with the shaft this way. When you get ready to install it back in, slide in the holder plate,heat the case up thoroughly and the c/b assy will just drop in place.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah im sure it wasnt the best way, but it work in a pinch

Old 10-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Great thread guys! and thanks for the info OldPolarisTech, and updates of the OP.

Btw the spring looks too new to me...

Jim

Old 10-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

I never did figure out what that spring was from!!! And I agree, OPT'S help has been great. He has put me on the right track every time!

Quick Reply: 2001 Polaris Srcambler 400 wont start