Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

currious

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default currious

I have a stupid question , I have a 2004 2005 330 magnum 4x4 its always been cold blooded , but I here people on here talking about having issues with their quad running but being able to take off air filter cover while running or even the air filter and still have it run . I bought mine new from full throttle since day one if you pop off the cover to the air filter the quad will not run , period , is this normal , mine was the very first year with computer in the spedo , thanks in advance

Old 10-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

All most all models don't run worth a crap with the air box lid off. Same for the Sportsman 500,will fall on it's face from being too lean if you did. 325 and 330 engines were the coldest natured 4 strokes Polaris has ever made also. I've found several where the fuel screw,under the block off plug on the carb was set too lean for a quick warm up and idle unless the choke was held on for a while. You might pull the block off plug out and check how many turns out from lightly closed position the fuel screw is set at. I've found several less than 1 turn out,plus one really cold natured one that the screw was completely closed. Should be at least 2 turns out. The fuel screw mainly affects idle to about 1/4 throttle or so,plus really affects how much choke application is needed and warm up time.Plus with a small screw driver or carb screw adjuster you can fine tune it even more. Here's a video on a 500 that's basically the same in that it shows you how to pull this plug. First 10 minutes applies to this.